stupid question about coraline

Aquadiva

rebuilding the reef
Is this stuff alive or dead on my glass?

Here's the problem. If I wait too long to scrape this stuff off my glass, it builds up really quick. But then, when I do scrape it, there is a huge algae bloom and my protein skimmer tends to go bananas. So I guess the question is, am I killing the coraline and fouling my tank because I am scraping too much at one time? or Is all this just coincidence?

Told you it was a stupid question.

-Linda

I believe it's alive, but I'm not sure you're killing it when you scrape it. And if you are I can't imagine it would produce much of a spike. :confused:

When you say there's an algae bloom, what sort of algae?

When your skimmer goes nuts, is it foaming over into your sump? I just had a thought that the particulate calcium might be making the skimmer go nuts, spilling skimmate into the sump, and that could be what's fouling your tank when you scrape the algae. Sort of a Rube Goldberg problem.

NateHanson said:
When you say there's an algae bloom, what sort of algae?

Whatever the "algae du jour" happens to be. Was fighting the dinos for awhile, but seem to have won that battle. :D Unfortunately, due to the wayward powerhead that decided to burrow into the sand, I am now fighting the cyano. :(

Normally, it is just the green stuff that accumulates on the glass. Kinda get the same tank reaction after the neighbors watch the tank for a week. :rolleyes: Can you say overfeeding. :eek:

As far as the skimmer goes...it goes NUTS. It's an ASM-g4 (euro-reef knockoff), and it will wet foam and fill the cup (more like a bucket) within 5 minutes. Have to adjust the outflow pipe down 6 inches or so to get it to stop.

Just curious if anyone else has this problem.

-Linda

NateHanson said:
When your skimmer goes nuts, is it foaming over into your sump? I just had a thought that the particulate calcium might be making the skimmer go nuts, spilling skimmate into the sump, and that could be what's fouling your tank when you scrape the algae. Sort of a Rube Goldberg problem.

Just figured out what you were trying to say here. Wow...not too bright today. (me, not you. ) :p

Hmmm...interesting...I shall make a note to clean the skimmer cup (bucket) just before scraping algae. If this is indeed what is happening...then the skimmer may still go nuts, but the tank fouling should be adverted. Interesting...thanks Nate.

-Linda

Aquadiva said:
Wow...not too bright today. (me, not you. ) :p

Don't count me out too quickly! :p Just last night I realized that a couple weeks ago I bought a plane ticket for my wife leaving at 7PM, when I thought I was buying a 7 AM ticket. :( So I can do stupid with the best of them! ;)

Same problem here. I won the cyno battle a couple months back. I cleaned my glass from some of the coralline a few days ago. Low and behold cyno appeared within two days. Never connect it till you mentioned it. It also made my BTA shrivel a bit.

Back