Substrate question (marco sand)?

KSASTER2

Non-member
I order 25lbs of key largo rock from MARCO for my 30g... absolutly awsome! I'll have some pics up soon still purchasing equipment. My question is anyone have any experience with MARCO's sand... I want to get 40Lb Bahama Aragonite sand from them? thanks

I got a sample of this stuff and it's awesome... When I get a new place and upgrade my tank I'm replacing all of my sand with this stuff... Just make sure you rinse it really well as I added it to my 29 in my bedroom without washing and it made the tank a little cloudy... **dooh** Only thing is to make sure you don't have too much flow at first because it could blow around pretty easily (I think he has a disclaimer on his site about this already though)

thanks

THANKS...hat what i figured that his stuff would be great...just from the rock I ordered

thanks

We got it for our nano. It is fantastic sand. Like said, just dont blow too much flow on it at first because it will go airborne. It settles after a while and is more stable. Great for diggers so they don't hurt themselves on crushed coral.

i have 25 lbs dry marco rock and just order their sand... since everything is "dead" should i go out and buy some fully cured live rock and a small bag of live sand to put in the tank?

get a cup of sand from a member, and get ONE piece of LR to seed you tank...that's all you should need.

Bump.

Quick question. I know the website says this sand is white but the pics look more like tan. I think it's just because it is wet though. Can anyone confirm that it is white?

I would like to get some to blend well with my CaribSea sugar size aragonite which is white. Also, anyone got any pics of this sand in their tank? Thanks.

The Marcos Rock is great. Have a 50lb box of it sitting in reserve until the tank is ready. I may order another 25lbs of the stuff. Not sure on the sand. It seems like it might be super fine stuff (my impression from what I see online). I've heard differing opinions on the use of fine sand vs not. Not sure myself.

How 'different' is the stuff from the so-called off the shelf tropical play-sand? I suspect it is better, but better in what way? No idea what I am looking for there in an answer. Never thought I'd ever be concerned over quality of rocks and sand before getting into this hobby LOL.

i bought 160 lbs of the sand for my 55 gallon tank. i love it it's super white and fine. my pistol and goby love it. i only ended up using about 120 lbs of it and sold the other 40 lbs to someone in the club and they were pleased with it as well if i remember correctly.i would definitely consider getting it again if i set up another tank. if he had black sand i would definitely do it.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like it's the way to go.

Back