Sudden accelerated growth of SPS

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I put in a calcium reactor on Sunday and I observe sudden accelerated growth of all SPS. Is calcium reactor really that great or something else? I tested the calcium level and there is not much difference.

maybe it's cause it keeps everything more stable inadvertently controlling ALK as well? When i get back in i'm definitively getting calc and alk reactors just to keep things as stable as possible.

Last edited:
I would not expect to see a difference of growth in sps in less than a week no matter what the change. I would expect better heath which could mean increased growth long term though due to increased stability.

I dont expect the calcium reactor is the reason. May be it is the seasonal change and I have a lot of snails doing their thing lead to increasing food source for sps.

It could be anything. I was having a problem with cyano and added some Dr Tims refresh. After ONE treatment almost no sign of cyan, and all my corals look alot move vibrant, and open. I dont know if thats it, but something made them happy.

I bet its the stability that they didn't get with dosing. Dr Tim's refresh eh? It worked that good Derek?

I bet its the stability that they didn't get with dosing. Dr Tim's refresh eh? It worked that good Derek?

Shane I have to be the most pessimistic, untrusting, non believer. I couldnt believe it if I hadnt seen it with my own two eyes, I am just leaving for work and lights are out, but I will post a picture of my tank. It could be a coincidence, but I dont know. I would have sworn someone came in during the day an added red slime remover. To say it is totaly gone would be a lie. If you came over today and looked at my tank it is so undetectable that you wouldnt be able to see any trace, unless it was pointed out. I have been very lucky in my short reefing career. I never had outbreaks of any algae issues. People would stop by and ask how I would have ZERO issues, and wouldnt know what to tell them. I run bio pellets still, and I run carbon, and PO4?< but the last couple months my skimmer has been alittle off, and needs to be cleaned/adjusted, and I got an outbreak. I figured it would just go away, but it got worse. I was at the point when I had to do something drastic. I didnt want to add a chemical, so I tried something natural. My water is crystal clear, and almost all signs are gone, and this is with to doses!

I dont know if my results are typical, but it has worked here.

Derek

In one week adding a reactor that is increasing calcium = stability? That is the definition of "lack there of" over that short of a period of time IMHO, but not a bad thing. I think it a matter of giving your corals more calcium that they were not getting before, although they found a way to balance. It seems your corals are consuming it as fast as you are putting it in if you didn't see much of a change testing, but are seeing more growth. My tank does the same when I change media in the reactor, or up the flow rate. I'd let it go for another week or two, then up the flow rate (which ups the CO2 used etc) slowly to keep the balance but introduce more calcium. When your tanks are maxed out testing will show it rising. Then let it stabilize. Your growth rates will go up. This is what mine seems to do.

Thanks for all the input.
It seems like calcium reactor is really the balanced dosing method.

Think a calcium reactor is overkill for a 75g? not sure if i should spend 300+$ on a reactor or just dose Kalk out of my ato

No it is not. If any dosing is required, including Kalk, a calcium reactor will be a good addition.

I bought a used reactor $100 +$50 for a 3/4 full tank and reg for my 54. It was a good investment and my parameters are nice and stable with 20+ different rapidly growing SPS halide lit. They are quite pricey, but are a perfectly fine piece to buy second hand IMHO. Definatly invest in a ph controller though!

My calcium reactor is dripping into a large sump filled with rocks, that take care of the pH issue.

Dong

I am sold on the cal reactor for stable ph alk and calc

I started the tank from zero in march and added your coral
In may look at some of this growth
This candy cane started as two heads
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1355622869670.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1355622869670.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 142
Went back to a post I put up in June and growth is really good, however it turns out the candy cane did not come from you but your stuff is growing like crazy also. Here is a before and after of number 1 and number 2 I got from you, and I traded the original plugs, however do not know what either One is. Any help
number 1.jpgNew Corals numbered.jpgnumber 2.jpg

Back