Linkage between sudden drop in ph and why my beer is flat?

Joshbd

BRS Member
So,

I woke up this morning to my ACIII reading a ph of 7.7 and dropping, which was very alarming because the tank usually hovers between 8.2 and 8.4. I ran the normal gambit of test (alk of 10, cal 440), and recalibrated the probes. By this time, the ACIII was reading a ph of about 7.5-7.6, which seemed just crazy to me. As I rushed about to find the issue, I noticed that my kegerator, which sits about 6 ft from my tank was making a funny noise and the external CO2 tank was all frozen over. So, I immediately shut off the gas, and made sure everything was tight. After it thawed out, I turned the CO2 back on and checked again for leaks (everything seemed good). Also, by this time, the ACIII was showing that ph was a more reasonable 7.9.

So, my question is this, could a CO2 leak 6ft away from the tank really get absorbed by the water and cause such a drastic drop in ph? It seems a little weird but I have no other explanation! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. On the plus side, there doesn't seem to have been any harm to the fish or corals...

Thanks,

Josh

Do not quote me, but I thought CO2 made ph drop?

Is your sump near the CO2 tank? I think CO2 has a tendency to stay low to the ground.

Wait for someone else to chime in.

Last edited:
I'd say conservatively definitely. Ambient CO2 has a huge affect on the tank's PH. Many people run a line from outside in the winter to deal with a closed up house.

Interesting stuff, thanks. I generally understand the relationship between CO2 and decline in ph, I'm just shocked how drastic even ambient levels can change things. I have the house buttoned up pretty well for the winter, so probably not much air exchange which would help explain it. Lesson learned!

Back