suggestions for dosing pump

Moose

Non-member
Hey everyone, its been a while since I have been on here as i started nursing school so life is BUSY!! so busy that I need help in the tank department. I am looking for a dosing pump, and need advise on what one and why. I need something Ideally to dose more than one chemical, like alk, calcium, even more if needed. I don't mind adding little things as needed but dosing everyday is not happening for me manually and I don't want to loose corals etc over it.

thanks ahead of time!

I have the magic marine triple doser which has the timer built in so no extra timers or multiple cord to run. I only use two channels and for 2 months it's been spot on. I used a graduated cylinder to calibrate what it pumped in 1 second and haven't moved yet. It was 119 shipped with a extra pump head.

wow thats a great price, Im not sure what I want, but will look at that one! I just want something to help me out, I normally dose it, but have been really really bad, and am looking for reliable, and convenient

wow thats a great price, Im not sure what I want, but will look at that one! I just want something to help me out, I normally dose it, but have been really really bad, and am looking for reliable, and convenient

There are threads out their with people using them longer then I have. The one I have is the 2nd or 3rd version. Jebao has a four channel about the same price but I couldn't find as much long term information to give it a try.

I use the BRS dosing pumps which have worked out well but the problem is controlling them without a reef controller of some type. I use regular timers but they only cycle to the nearest 1/2 hr and thats not good enough. I would suggest you look into a multichannel dosing system of some type or pumps with a reef controller. While we are on the subject anyone know of a good digital timer, I can't find one.

Jim

I also use the triple doser marine magic. Has worked flawlessly for me and not bad for $119. I also have a single BRS doser that I use to dose vodka controlled via my apex. The brs doser also works great.

Look at the pump life of the Marine Magic. Last time I looked at them (about a year ago), the life of the pump was pretty short, so I went with the BRS pumps.

The pump life is 150 to 200 hours and at my current dosing schedule of 45 seconds a day or 30 ml the pump should last 30 to 40 years. Plus the replacement heads are only 10 dollars and head and motor are 20.

It's not about the cost of a replacement head, it is about a pump breaking and corals dying because of it, remember, things break at the worse time, and a replacement head would take a few days to arrive. But, if you only use the dosing pump for a few minutes per day, then it will last for a long time.

Moose, how big is your tank and what kind of corals do you keep? If the pump will run for an hour or more each day, then it isn't worth it to go the cheap way. (Keep in mind corals growing and dosing increasing).

Last edited:
It's not about the cost of a replacement head, it is about a pump breaking and corals dying because of it, remember, things break at the worse time, and a replacement head would take a few days to arrive. But, if you only use the dosing pump for a few minutes per day, then it will last for a long time.

Moose, how big is your tank and what kind of corals do you keep? If the pump will run for an hour or more each day, then it isn't worth it to go the cheap way. (Keep in mind corals growing and dosing increasing).

I have a 90g, piped to a 30 frag, piped to a 55 sump. I have lps, sps, fish and lots of inverts. my corals run from 30 or so type of zoos, torches, candy canes, acroporas, plate corals, frogspawn, mushrooms, blastos, acans, and a bunch of corals i don't know what they are :) i have a large addiction!! the calcium and alk have a hard time staying in a good range, which I always assume my shrimps have a big part, each month they shed and hold eggs, (I'm still trying to get the larvae to adult form, only get them to 28 days or so :(..

I have the magic marine triple doser which has the timer built in so no extra timers or multiple cord to run. I only use two channels and for 2 months it's been spot on. I used a graduated cylinder to calibrate what it pumped in 1 second and haven't moved yet. It was 119 shipped with a extra pump head.
+1 on this. I have the same thing. If you're on a budget then this is a good choice I think. The bubble magus is really nice and what I would get if I had the money but it's really pricey.

I have the BRS pumPs connected to a RKL.

You have these too. Look Jebao dosing pumps

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/01/hands-jebaos-rw-series-propellor-pump-dosing-system/

I have two Jebao pumps for my 90, and one for my separate red sea max 30... so I do like the idea of the Jebao making a pump! The calcium reactors looked like it would take more room and money, and I want to upgrade when we buy a house over the next few years, so I wanted to hold off on that.....

I have 2 Liter Meter III, and wouldnt use anything else. They are expensive, but worth it. You will never have an issue with them, and they are always spot on. The can be run dry without issue. The main unit has one head, and you can buy two extras to connect to it. I use one for additives, and one for a constant water change. I change 3 gallons everyday, and add about 1gal top off. They are made by Spectrapure. The add whatever it is 150 times per day. So if you are adding a gallon it adds it very slowly, so you dont get big changes in your system

Good Luck

Derek

Back