Sump design question

8Niz

Non-member
designing my sump has led to alot more ideas than answers. i want to design the "perfect sump".. Melevs reef has alot of good stuff but my question is this.. Is it more beneficial to have a deep sump or a long thin one? I have a 75 gallon glass sump and have this idea to divide the sump the long way which will make the water travel further, im trying to find the flaws of this sump and cant find it. i would have the skimmer in first stage near the intake hose, over a baffle into the long refugium then a bubble trap before the return pump.. heres a sorry excuse for a design from my lay top

l------------------------------l
l water in -> -> -> ->
l
l----------------------
l out <- <-
l__________________________l

anybody have or seen anything like this? i just dont want to waste my time and money if this is a flawed design. should i try it or stick with the skimmer-> refugium-> return or skimmer-> return <-refugium

any advise welcomed

Last edited:
my awesome sketch was messed up a bit and the right wall of the sump is gone for some reason but you can see the u shaped design .

more sand for water to travel over, more room for macro alge and pods.. its either this or a deep sump with a pile of live rock in it

Back