Sump Size & Flow

MelodyDurham

Non-member
Is there some chapter in the Reefing Scripture that recommends a minimum percentage of your tank size that your sump should be?

Also, is it just as affective to have a sump that moves water in a circle rather than in one direction? Hrmm.. that's hard to explain. Let me try again (with pictures!):

Long rectangular sumps seem to be the norm, so as water flows in it goes through it's stages of filtration in one straight path before it's pumped back up to the tank.

conventional.jpg

Is it possible to make a more square shaped sump that will have the water flow in one corner, filter itself to the next corner, turn 90 degrees, flow some more, turn 90 degrees and get pumped back out to the system from the last corner?

unconventional.jpg

Thanks!
Melody~

The minimum size for a sump is large enough to hold all the equipment you may want to put in there... at least skimmer, heater, return pump. Larger is better, obvisouly (makes it easier to service equipment, and adds water volume), but having a small sump is much better than not having one at all.

I can't see why your square design wouldn't work as well as a rectangular sump... you just need to make sure the central divider is taller than the baffles, otherwise the water will flow over that divider.

Are you considering a refugium too?

Nuno

I would try to make the return section fairly big. Evaporation takes place there for one and it's also possible to have a return section so small that the pump empties it before the water has time to return.

I wasn't going to start a refugium at first, but I do want to consider it while I construct my sump box, so it would be possible to add one later.

Very good suggestions about sizing the return area. Thanks!

Now, who wants to help me build this sucker? (Since I have no acrylicworking experience.) I won't get my stand until the end of this month. During that time I'll draw up some blueprints, and then if someone has a few hours one weekend to help me make it, let me know!

:D

Melody~

refugiums are fun as well as helpful, so if it was me I'd make sure it was someplace you could look in. It's like a wee little safari in there.

What nuno said.

Basically I think a sump should be as big as you can make it. I could only fit a 15g sump under my stand when I setup this tank, and it held my equipment, but only barely! Try to maximize the space under your stand.

I'm currently hooking up a 55g sump in the basement for my 65g display tank. :) Lots of room, and a little more tank capacity for that baby manatee I'd like to keep. ;)

I think your u-shaped sump is a good idea. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Melody,i think it is a great idea,a good way of getting a larger volume sump under your cube shaped tank.Make sure you leave some room for reef gadgets and toys though :)
-Liam.

Melody, I think your u shaped sump idea is really cool. how about adding a fuge like this? (made it green to represent macro algae :)) You could bypass some of the fuge into the area between the fuge and return to optimize flow through the fuge.

Oh and Welcome!!!!

-Brian

Attachments

• unconventional.jpg
    unconventional.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 172
Cool! I had drawn up a little blue print this afternoon with a refugium in the same place, Brian! hehe That's awesome.

Thanks for the encouragement, Folks. I'll take some photos of my progress.

Melody~

Back