T5 Bulb Combination-4bulbs wide

125tank

BRS Member
So yeah it's time to change the bulbs and I just can't decide which combi would be the best. The light is 4 bulbs wide so what i have in my head right now are:

(1)ATI aquablue special
ATI blue plus
ATI aquablue special
ATI blue plus

(2)ATI aquablue special
ATI blue plus
ATI aquablue special
Giesmenn pure actinic

(3)ATI aquablue special
ATI blue plus
UVL Aquasun
Giesmeen pure actinic (or UVL super actinic)

I like the 3rd option best because the aquasun would give out the brightest PAR for coral growth and it wont make the tank look too white because the pure actinic will send out the blue to offset. please let me know what you think about those combi and what other combi would you recommend. I prefer ATI, Giesemenn, and UVL. I keep sps, lps, softies, and thinking about maxima clams too...

Last edited:
2 ATI blue plus on the front and back and a combo of 2 12-14K bulbs in the middle is my favorite. Throwing in a super actinic is no good for me as it's waaaaaaaaaaay to purple...

And the aquasun has very similar par numbers to the geisemann 11k, UVL/ATI 12/14K (forgot which is 14 and which is 12)

I am glad you posted this because I am looking to replace my 4 T5's too and I have no idea what I want to buy. I have 2 MH's do you have MH's or just the T5's?

ronnies got great color on his 4 bulbs
2 blue plus
1 fiji purple
1 blue special ( i think ) maybe he'll chime in.

I run 3 blue + and 3 Aquablue specials, but when i switch out the bulbs i'll probably switch one of the aquablues for a KZ figi purple.

Just a side note here though.. KZ recommends you only use the figi purple if you have at least 5 other bulbs to cancel it out, I believe it is because many people find the color overpowering if you don't have other bulbs to negate it. YMMV, but just thought it was worth noting.

I am glad you posted this because I am looking to replace my 4 T5's too and I have no idea what I want to buy. I have 2 MH's do you have MH's or just the T5's?

I just have T5.. but if you already got MH then you prob dont need to worry about par but rather about the color output.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I wish there's a perfect combi that everyone love to use but unfortunately every1 has different tastes, that makes it so difficult to decide. I'll consider all of the combi you all gave to make one up for my own.
I'll post pic of the tank after i have changed the bulbs, but it would be awesome if you all can post a pic of your tank with full lights on and a pic of just actinic on, and list the combi you have.

Back