T5 lighting pendant for a 60 cube. Questions...

expatgoalie

Non-member
will a 4 bulb pendant with good bulbs (ATI) be sufficient to grow some (read: a few pieces, not a ton) SPS in the middle depths of the tank, or should I really be using a 6 bulb fixture? The 60 cube is 24" deep.

The other issue I am running into is pendant mounting. I'd prefer to use legs that rest on the tank itself since hanging the pendant is not an option (20' ceilings, and the stand is not ideal for using the curved rail kit that some sell by looking at the dimensions and spans). Can anyone suggest some fixtures that would meet my needs? I know AquaticLife makes what I need in 4 and 6 bulb configurations, but there isn't much about them on here. I'd love an ATI unit, but again- the mounting would kind of be a pain for me to work around.

Thanks for the help.

I am also trying to figure out what is the best way to go with a 60 cube. They are a design nightmare IMO. I like the idea of lights on the tank and using the legs. I am not into the idea of putting the mounting system on the back (but may have to by the time I am done). I also like the idea of a 6 bulb configuration. I also have a vaulted ceiling and do not like the idea of having all this cable just to hang a light! I like ATI but wish they came in black.

Not much help I realize, I am racking my brain over the cube. One option might be putting a bracket on the wall behind the tank to suspend the lights. Good Luck.

My cube is in a corner, hence no go on a wall bracket either, unless I want to start getting into funky geometry again haha...

I'm really strongly considering giving that aquaticlife pendant a shot...

i know folks who have used the aquaticlife t5 fixtures, with some success... and i would definately go with 6 bulbs over 4... however i would do a little more research and be a little patient, you could always score a 6 bulb, 24" ATI used at a great price here and there... jus thought it was worth mentioning... also, i would use a 4 bulb teklight by sunlight supply, before i would use an aqualticlfe fixture of the same bulb count... jus imo... GL with whatever you decide to do!

The ATI unit is a hanging pendant though, which I am confident won't work for me without custom manufacturing some sort of hanging support system... That's something I'm trying to avoid.

Is there any way to foot mount the ATI unit? Otherwise I'd be happy to buy a new unit.

OH! im sorry, you did mention that.. i overlooked it, my bad...

ya know, i really wish teklights had a 6 bulb, 24" option, i kinda cant believe they dont... foolishness! lol

It apparently didn't matter. I found a 6 bulb ATI sunpower with 1 month old bulbs for $350 shipped. A little pricey considering it's used, but I'm still saving a good bit with basically new bulbs. Now I just need to figure out a good way to mount it.

When I had my 60g cube I had the tek 4 bulb and the ATI 6 bulb fixture on it , and the ATI was perfect for that tank. I had it hanging though..

Last edited:
Back