Tank Controller

ro_nicu

Non-member
Any interest in building some tank controllers?
I've been compiling a list of useful docs / webpages and will start building soon. If anybody is interested I can share the progress.
I plan on going Arduino but might still consider the beagleboard. If you have a homebrew controller please let me know - I am interested in your experience.

i'm planning to but it's a little out of the way, it would be different if it would be summer and one could go hang on the beach either before or after, ...
in fact I am leaning towards an arduino 2560. hopefully I make it there and see what people have to say about it.

So far I have the board, the lcd shield (lcd was broken during shipping; the touch does not work), the rtc, a couple of circuits on the breadboard and a bunch of open source code from the internet, most of it relevant to my project. I do plan to run just the lights for starters and than see how it goes.

Check out my old posts I did this and put up nice friendly PDF diagrams for each step, temp LEDs ato and the code. Currently I am developing a new system which is a raspberry pi using the arduino as a slave device to run my office fishtank!

Are you developing it already or just in the planing states? reason for asking is I can still switch the direction of the build without sacrificing too much. I was actually considering the beagleboard but doubt that 8 outputs will suffice for a full blown controller. Linking a pi with an arduino brings this well over my current comfort zone.

The arduino only controller has been running since July 2011, the pi arduino duo has been running three weeks. Both haven't failed me yet, I consider anything younger than three months 'in development' hah

The arduino build I documented start to finish, I have not yet documented the ENTIRE Pi process. If you're fairly technical and can setup up a pi on your own, the basic outline of what to do is at https://github.com/johntan/rpicontroller.

The code is pretty well commented with little notes on how to test it. I will be giving a short presentation at the next meeting too!

NICE!!!; I will try to attend.

Do you think a PI is preferable to a beagle board? Reason for asking is that the beagle has some PWM outputs to begin with.

I haven't used the beaglebone board but I would guess it's just preference. I like the pi because even with an arduino nano it's cheaper haha.

The arduino outputs at 5v too which neither the Pi nor the beagle do, and all the relays I use want 5-24v dc to activate. Again probably just preference, you could get a transistor for every pin on the beagle or pi GPIO and pair it with an additional power supply. I just try to keep it as cheap and simple as possible.

Back