Tank drilling help please

jovreef

I'm the girl
hello again you wonderful DIY'ers :D

Ok so after what seems like ages I've put this weekend aside to drill my tank.

I've got a spare 20. thanks to dong! That I'm going to drill out empty and trasfer everything over.

My only problem ... I have not found a bit yet. :( :eek: I looked in HD thinking...well maybe I'll get lucky but no go.

Does anyone know where I can get a bit by this weekend for a 1 inch hole? Or does anyone have a drill press one they would not mind doing for me?

you could do it the dremel way too if you dont find a bit. get the "carbide tungsten cutter bit" they sell at HD, worked great for me.

I bought a set of bits on ebay; they were something like $20 for 6. They ship directly from China, so you won't be able to buy by this weekend. I could lend you mine, but they are at my parents' house in Groton, and I won't go there myself until this weekend. I don't remember what my bit sizes are. I think they are metric, but there are one or two close to 1 inch.

-pavel.

Unfortunatly I dont have a dremel and neither does my neighbor who has offered to help me.

I might have to put it off another week and order from ebay if I cant find one local :/ Thanks for the offer pavel but I was hoping to find one local for saturday & I dont know how to readjust a hole to fit a 1 inch bulkhead if it does not fit :eek:

Last edited:
you have to drill the hole slightly larger than the bulkhead anyway; I used the closest bit for my bulkhead (also 1" I believe, although I don't remember for sure anymore), and it fit fine. The gasket that comes with the bulkhead is wide enough to give you some wiggle room.

-pavel.

A one inch bulkhead requires a 1 5/8" hole, usually. (some bulkheads differ).

Jov, how about bringing the tank to Cindy's party? I'll bet someone could bring a bit up there and you'll find volunteers willing to break your tank while you have a beer! :)

hey! anyone interested in doing that? we can have a tank drilling demo!!! and I can get my tank drilled :D

Just a bump to beg alittle more... I'd really like to get this done this weekend, my help cannot do it the following weekend. No one knows were I can get a bit local or can drill with a press?

most hardware stores carry them them come in a kit with 4 bits for around 30.00
they are used for tile if you cant find them and have to ask.
fair warning if your drilling 1/2" or thicker they only good for 15 holes or so.
practice with a bit that your not going to use

i can bring a 45mm bit (1" bulk head) and drill on sat, i drilled mine last night in 5 mins, easy peasy. john

:O yippie! your my hero... should I bring anything other than the tank? I'm sending you a pm :)

Back