Tank just cracked!!!

Privateer

BRS Member
Well I just had an interesting afternoon. I'm sitting there in my office when all of a sudden my wife starts yelling that the tank cracked and is leaking all over the place. Luckily we had a 44G brute barrel sitting in our basement that I was going to use for mixing salt. I was able to grab all the rock out and scoop most of the water into the barrel. I got the corrals in a little sand bed that I made in a plastic box propped against the rocks in the barrel too. Now I need to see what the damage looks like in the basement but I'm glad that I was home when it happened. That would have been horrible to come home to. So far it looks like it sprayed enough that the powerstrip and the timers got soaked. It was all plugged into a GFI outlet so the electrical damage didn't spread at least.

So who is in the Haverhill area that can sell me a tank quick?:p Looking for something like a 40B up to a 75.

Also how long can my livestock stay in the barrel? :confused: I have an airstone, and a circulation pump going.
There is 90lbs of live rock, a few corrals (zoas, leather, a few small sps), like 9 annenomes, and 2 clownfish.

Shouldn't have to worry about keeping water wsrm, but I would throw a he as term in anyway.sounds like you have your bases covered, put a light on top of the barrel and you should good for a few days. Good luck

Well you should be ok for a while just keep an eye on your nutrient level and watch for any spikes. Just in case I would start mixing water change water to control any spikes.

Sucks about the tank :(

I would say as long as they have filtration , light and flow Indefinitely they could live . Sorry to hear about the tank .

Wow, good thing you were there and ready with that big brute. Sounds like you should be in good shape til you get a replacement tank up.

Sorry to hear that. Do you know what caused the crack?

BTW, Petco and Petsmart both have $1 per gallon sale going on now.

Thanks for the quick feedback, looks like my wife's idea to put a giant rubbermaid tote in the basement under the tank paid off so there is very little water on the floor or anywhere else.
Thanks for the heads up on the sale Dong. I'm picking up a setup from a member so I should be all set, plus they are always sold out of 40B tanks when the sale comes along.

Back