tank leveling

fishmommy

Non-member
When I leveled my tank I was good in both directions. Now, a couple weeks later, it is still good side to side but is a little bit high in the front. It must have settled or something. Is this ok or should I re-level it? It doesn't have water in it yet.

Now that it is full and in place depending on the size of the tank and how it move will determine what you should do.

If the tank moved as one and is just out of level for the most part you are Ok the smaller the tank the better off you are. If it is twist or one section in low the pressure on it can cause the seam or the glass to crack

But in the end with no idea of how big the tank is, how it is sitting over the framing members or flooring underneath wood/rug/etc it is hard to judge

I've thought about it more and will re-level it, as much of a pain that will be. It's a fairly tall tank (27") so it matters that much more from a stress standpoint.
I just needed a kick in the pants ;)

Over time an unleveled tank can be a problem. Depends how unleveled. If the bubble on your level is completely out of the center point, that's bad. If its half or less I wouldn't worry about it unless its an old tank. I have had a 72 bow front seal let go at the bottom because of not being level. If your worried about all the work of draining it down just think what will happen if it leaks... You will feel better about it when its right and you can enjoy it more.

Back