Tank temp change with MH lights on.

steve214989

Non-member
Im having a problem keeping a constant temp in my tank with my lights on during the day. At night with the lights off my tank stays at 76. During the day with the lights on it climbs up to 80. I know how bad this is and cant seem to fix it. I have tried using a fan on the waters surface but it cools too much at night. I was thinking of setting up a small fan for the waters surface on a timer to come on with the MH lights. My tank is a 75 with a decent sized sump. The lights are PFO 250 x 2 SE mogul with 96 x 2 pc blues. The light itself stays nice and cool due to two 4 inch fans one drawing air in and one pushing it out the other end. any suggestions?

Try the light on a timer thing. You could also run a heater at night so it doesn't drop as much and is more stable.

Lights are on timers. blue for an hour, everything for 6 then blue for another hour. Do you think running a constant temp of 79 or 80 would be ok or is it too high?

A constant temp of 80ish should be fine, but I think your on target trying to minimize that 4 degree swing.
Run your fans into your light timer, but your 2 fans may be too small to move enough air to cool (or just displace hot air). Maybe just one slightly larger fan.

Back