Tapping pex for RODI

PSU4ME

BRS Member
Hey guys,
I’m looking to tap into some pex line,1/2” I think, to get a connection point for my RODI. Does anyone have examples of with you did, what you used etc so I can get a gauge of what works?

Thanks

When I plumbed everything in the basement I used existing stubbed out lines to feed my RODI setup. Here's some pics I just snapped. I rotated one of them so you could read the tag easier. These feed down from the ceiling in the basement. Parts were bought from my local Home Depot.

Attachments

• IMG_20191223_172302.jpg
    IMG_20191223_172302.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20191223_172308.jpg
    IMG_20191223_172308.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_20191223_172319.jpg
    IMG_20191223_172319.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20191223_172326.jpg
    IMG_20191223_172326.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 246
Thank you. So the last piece in a screw in JG fitting?

Yeah. I don't remember if I got that from HD or if it came with my RODI.

Whole thing was easy to install. I think the biggest PITA was draining that portion of the cold water line so I could add the new bits.

It was used for 1-2 years when I had the tank setup; been there for 5-6 years now I think... no leaks or other issues.

Don’t use shark bites! Do your self a favor and buy a tool! 1x 1/2” pex tee, 4x 1/2” stainless steel pex clamps (oetiker), 1x 1/2” pex x 3/8 od compression valve https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin...KDOUY-BPhwecqS452grYsEnaN6HXFmTRoCpdQQAvD_BwE
And then you will need a tube insert and a plastic Delrin sleeve to use on the compression fitting and some 3/8” lldpe tubing. If looking to go 1/4” you can get a 3/8”stem x 1/4” JG push adapter and use a delrin sleeve with no tube/insert just put it right on the stem
I install RO units for a living so if you have more questions tag me in it or if you need parts I’m stacked on all the little random ones. If it’s your own house I wouldn’t use a shark bite push fitting they are laughable and will fail in time compared to a clamped fitting/true sweat. They are only to be used in emergency or hard to reach spot that can’t be repaired with standard measures. I hate how my competitors in the water industry don’t even sweat a fitting anymore.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that you must also use the same brand for tubing, fittings, and clamps. PEX is not a brand name.

Don’t use shark bites! Do your self a favor and buy a tool! 1x 1/2” pex tee, 4x 1/2” stainless steel pex clamps (oetiker), 1x 1/2” pex x 3/8 od compression valve https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin...KDOUY-BPhwecqS452grYsEnaN6HXFmTRoCpdQQAvD_BwE
And then you will need a tube insert and a plastic Delrin sleeve to use on the compression fitting and some 3/8” lldpe tubing. If looking to go 1/4” you can get a 3/8”stem x 1/4” JG push adapter and use a delrin sleeve with no tube/insert just put it right on the stem
I install RO units for a living so if you have more questions tag me in it or if you need parts I’m stacked on all the little random ones. If it’s your own house I wouldn’t use a shark bite push fitting they are laughable and will fail in time compared to a clamped fitting/true sweat. They are only to be used in emergency or hard to reach spot that can’t be repaired with standard measures. I hate how my competitors in the water industry don’t even sweat a fitting anymore.

Back