Teaching clowns to host

Chris L

Nano reefing
BRS Member
I’ve read a few post saying they have put a video of clowns hosting up against the tank to teach them. Has anyone had any luck with this? Or what else have you done that has worked?

I’ve read a few post saying they have put a video of clowns hosting up against the tank to teach them. Has anyone had any luck with this? Or what else have you done that has worked?
I put them in a breeder box with the anemone

Take note of the location the clowns like to hang out prior to having an anemone, then place the anemone right in that place. For my clowns, they like to hang out where the food drops in the tank. They were hosting on a torch that was near there. I replaced the torch with a anemone, only moved the torch a 6 inches to the side, and they completely switched and now host the anemone.

I was skeptical but apparently the video trick works, I came in the room to see this
A1A1853C-06A6-4BF1-8114-1301EA17776F.jpeg
A1A1853C-06A6-4BF1-8114-1301EA17776F.jpeg
30D182A5-AC22-4601-904D-951422267DD9.jpeg
30D182A5-AC22-4601-904D-951422267DD9.jpeg
B58E2FE0-4B21-45D9-BC69-420D5674B7DA.jpeg

I lucked out. Had several small anemones, and got one more because of a deal I got and my clowns picked that one after a few weeks. They now stay in it all the time

So now she is going back and forth between both anemones, and the male is still very confused lol

I played a video for the clowns for about 3 or 4 minutes on Friday night; just holding my phone to the tank. The clowns would look at the video then look at the anemone and inch closer to the anemone. It was amazing! Previously the nem was completely ignored haha! So, I had high hopes for taping the video to the tank Saturday. Sadly no success yet. I did forget to stop the video and the clowns got a tour of David Saxby's reef tank (among other things). so maybe they are now protesting their tiny home!

I played a video for the clowns for about 3 or 4 minutes on Friday night; just holding my phone to the tank. The clowns would look at the video then look at the anemone and inch closer to the anemone. It was amazing! Previously the nem was completely ignored haha! So, I had high hopes for taping the video to the tank Saturday. Sadly no success yet. I did forget to stop the video and the clowns got a tour of David Saxby's reef tank (among other things). so maybe they are now protesting their tiny home!
Lmao, that’s awesome

Be careful what you ask for I guess. Now that she has her nem she is all of a sudden tank territorial! Chasing me around and trying to nip me while I clean lol. Still to small to do anything but scared the detritus right out of my the first time lol

Back