Test Kit

What the hell did I just do it's a big grid now??? And the main reason I want to switch from API is for that exact reason. They've been fine for me but now that I'm testing more and fine tuning my levels they aren't cutting the mustard...

So I'd say if you want a nice reef tank don't go API but if you're just doing a FOWLR or a softy only tank API would be fine...

Screenshot_20200410-103549.png

Just in case your being serious.

I was pretty sure I knew how it got there and you just confirmed it was I got it just couldn't figure out how to make it go away... I fat fingered it while on my phone :oops::rolleyes:o_O

I only use and trust Elos. They make the ONLY hobby grade test kit that is approved by NIST. Probably the most consistent and accurate test kits I have used. They are super easy to use and read. Been using them for over 12 years, never once let me down.
For salinity I use a refractometer and the Ice Cap pen
For Phosphate I use the Milwaukee photometer. No liquid hobby test kit is actually accurate at the residual levels we need to test for.

I only use and trust Elos. They make the ONLY hobby grade test kit that is approved by NIST. Probably the most consistent and accurate test kits I have used. They are super easy to use and read. Been using them for over 12 years, never once let me down.
For salinity I use a refractometer and the Ice Cap pen
For Phosphate I use the Milwaukee photometer. No liquid hobby test kit is actually accurate at the residual levels we need to test for.
Elos is that good hugh? I'd like to try them as i use only hanna & salifert / redsea. I got rid of all my API test kits!

Elos is that good hugh? I'd like to try them as i use only hanna & salifert / redsea. I got rid of all my API test kits!
I can't stand the Red Sea test kits. And Salifert is the only company that has had to recall their test kits, probably cause they were made in his garage. And I'm not a fan of the Hanna meters, I have seen WAY too much inconsistency for me to trust them.

I can't stand the Red Sea test kits. And Salifert is the only company that has had to recall their test kits, probably cause they were made in his garage. And I'm not a fan of the Hanna meters, I have seen WAY too much inconsistency for me to trust them.
Gotcha i'll give them a whirl in ALK, CA, PO4 & NO3. Thanks for the input. I love my HAnna salinity/temp tester though that thing is awesome

... For Phosphate I use the Milwaukee photometer. No liquid hobby test kit is actually accurate at the residual levels we need to test for.

Which Milwaukee photometer do you use? The mini photometer looks similar to the Hanna checker.

I’ve used Elos in the past and I liked them. With Elos tests, it was pretty easy to see differences in color from what I recall. I’m thinking of going back to using Elos after my current reagents expire.

Which Milwaukee photometer do you use? The mini photometer looks similar to the Hanna checker.

I’ve used Elos in the past and I liked them. With Elos tests, it was pretty easy to see differences in color from what I recall. I’m thinking of going back to using Elos after my current reagents expire.

thanks for the advice everyone

Gotcha i'll give them a whirl in ALK, CA, PO4 & NO3. Thanks for the input. I love my HAnna salinity/temp tester though that thing is awesome
The hanna salinity tester is definitely good.
It's their checkers that have had issues. More with the reagents than the checkers themselves, from what I understand.

I use the Milwaukee MI412 low range phosphate photometer. Most accurate and consistent test I have used.

i'VE READ THE SAME..and the reagents are to blame for sure...

Yes. I have found that there is sometimes a difference between reagents. I test Alk twice when switching to a new reagent bottler. Once with the old bottle and once with the new bottle. The last two bottles had a reading difference of 0.1.

A magnetic stirrer and a bunch of stirrer bars has made testing a little less tedious for me.

Back