The Best DIY Venturi

RandyStacyE

Non-member
I just found this excellent DIY Venturi! ?Don W? from Reef Frontiers originally posted his made from acrylic rod. I couldn?t find acrylic rod so I made mine out of PVC filled with a 2-part material from www.sanitred.com called Quick Patch. I simply mixed it, poured it into a piece of ?? PVC and it cured solid in less than 2 min. Popped it into a lathe and drilled it with a tapered drill bit from both sides.

The coolest thing is that you can make a venturi out of any inlet fitting that comes with your pump; like a barbed fitting or even a worthless venturi.

This is the very best venturi I have ever used. It certainly beats any venturi that comes with a pump. These things are so easy to make you can make smaller or bigger ones and it only takes about 10 min to make.

Here are my pics:
http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2129613013

Don W from Reef Frontiers:
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4007&highlight=venturi

Scott Merrill said:
not so best photo host
can't see pics

Wow, that site requires registration just to see the pics :eek:
I suggest you find a better host, or most people won't go through the trouble.

Nuno

Hopefully that worked. Sony Image Station had an opening for a password and had "optional" beside it. I just typed in a password. I took out that password. Let me know if it worked.

All I see is the one same tube on each link. I would love to build/install a new one as mine is sporatic.

Very nice looking.

Can you tell me more about that 2-part stuff you used to fill the PVC? What consistency does it dry to? Hard rubber? Plastic?

How did you keep the quickpatch plug from spinning inside the PVC when you chucked it in the lathe and bored it?

I am using an Aqua Medic Ocean Runner 2700 (The 2500 but with needle wheel impellor). Originally I had purchased one of those Kent Marine Venturis. I found it to be marginal at best. I played around with several different things and I ended up attaching a pieces of 1/4 tubing to the pump intake facing inward. For a submerged pump where you can put the venturi on the intake instead I highly recomend this.

Place the 1/4 tubing such that it the opening faces the impellors. Get it as close to the impellors as you can withou touching them. The theory being you have the venturi action at the point where the water is moving fastest (inside the impellor housing). This approach shoudl also increase total flow rate as it is not restricting the flow as much as a piece of venturi piping would.

I beleive RIO venturi pumps employ this menthod by incormporating a custom fittin to hold the tube. I was able to wedge my 1/4 tubing into a tight gap in my pump's intake fitting. I have this running good on the DIY skimmer built at Nate's last fall. I can try and get some pictures of that this weekend.

Back