Best Product or DIY for Light Fixture Hanger

Interested in a 'system' that easily lowers and raises a light fixture. what have you run across, use, or invented that simply and easily lowers and raises your lights?

thanks in advance.

Ed,
I've become a fan of the cable light hangers. You can see them setup to hang a rack of Lumenarcs in these photos.
http://www.maurophotography.com//photoshoots/SummerShoots/images/MDA_9165.jpg
http://www.maurophotography.com//photoshoots/SummerShoots/images/MDA_9164.jpg
http://www.maurophotography.com//photoshoots/SummerShoots/images/MDA_9156.jpg

It's very secure and it will hold the rack with only 3 hangers functioning.
It's a bit of work to raise the whole light as you have to reach the back two cables to pull them up, but the front two are trivial for tank access.

M.

My light hood is mounted inside a wood canopy and hindged to swing up and back.... while it's horizontal.For bulb access I un hook the front pivot and swing it up at an angle.

ed i built my frame out of square aluminum stock from HD and then hung it inside the canopy on chains so it can be adjusted of lifted out of the way

thanks guys but missing my question. I want to 'easily' raise and lower the entire fixture, not flip up or how to hang but so the fixture is like a platform that goes up and down. Go the chains but raising and lowering the hooks on each of the ends is a PIA. Wanted like a pulley system of sorts :)

Galvinized coated wire that is insulated on a pulley system. I can help you make it you knucklehead. You never bothered to ask.....(is it for the frag tank?) Call me............(still waiting since fri morning!!)

Yak Yak Yak,
This is so simple,
I just suspended my 48" T5's with 2 eyebolts and HD line, lightweight unit. BUT depending on your weight of hood/fixture, just add pullys.
Each pully per anchor, distributes 1/4 to 1/2 the weight, each loop takes another percent. 100lb hood, 2 2-spool pullys, lift weight 25lbs, 3-spool, like 10lbs pull. I just put drywall screw into wall and lift, hook, done. light stays horiz and you see what your doing.
Something like that, just made it up anyway.
Ex Navy, I remember something like this but at my age....

ok, stimpy, design me a system for a single pull, four points, 40 pounds. need to know how many pulleys, placement and where do I find the ones I need.

brian, be quiet,...........

ok, stimpy, design me a system for a single pull, four points, 40 pounds. need to know how many pulleys, placement and where do I find the ones I need.

brian, be quiet,...........
Mc master carr has all the ingredients!!! :p

40lbs should be not prob, can we put lag into ceiling above tank/s, hitting joists???

Bob

for the frag tank in the cellar. joists are exposed and we could run some stringers across if necessary. its the design of the system so there's very little tension. the link I referenced has a protection that automatically clinches it to a stop. What I dont like is its rope and like Brian indicates should be a coated wire. They probably have block and tackles that small I assume. wanted a one wire system not a two wire system for four equal points to raise and lower.

Quick diagram

Hi Yaktop.
Here is a quick diagram,
Bottom pullys are singles, top pullys are dual(2) block unit, last right is single or double depending where you want to connect cables together.

Hope it helps..

Bob

pullysystem.jpg

Last edited:
I setup my T5 unit with eyebolts only, no pullys, lightweight unit though.
with the pullys, your pull will be about 20% of hood weight. nice and easy.

hope it helps
will difine the drawing and maybe put on the DIY thread.
Stimpy

Back