Things that aggravate you in this hobby

That they still sell old, outdated equipment - such as skimmers like the sea clone, prizm, etc. And then people try to sell their used ones...

LFS employees who intentionally sell inappropriate fish.

People who don't do even a smidge of research before purchasing a living critter or setting up a tank...

Nothing. I can't believe I have nothing to complain about. I love it. Otherwise I'd be into another hobby . :)

Researching about the hobby and having to read each thing 50 times and then finally blink after three hours to realize that your eyes are in pain and yet you still dont understand it (though thats me with everything I read.) The big thing that aggravates me is when I tell (ask) my girlfriend that I want to buy something new this weekend and then I get 30 reasons why I cant make it to the store to buy stuff or why we dont have the money this week lol.

One thing that aggravates me is low quality equipment that is designed to last about 6-12 months. When I set something up I expect it to be essentially maintenance free and to last >5 years. I hate doing things twice. The other thing that aggravates me is the other end of the spectrum, stuff that is REALLY expensive and you know should not be (Tunze comes to mind). It’s supposed to be Soooo much better, but it isn’t, and also fails.

I can think of a few brands and pieces of equipment that amaze me in their longevity:

Eheim pumps (I have some I think more than 10 years old)

Tetra (or I don’t know what brand they are now calling themselves) Luft air pumps (many other brands fail within 6 weeks. I’ve had some Luft pumps go 10+ years with NO maintanence, or failures

Aquaclear powerheads – at least the ones that used to be made in Italy – I have some of these that are also 10+ years old and still going. They sometimes have to be cleaned with bleach and or acid, and sometimes have to have the plastic impeller, or on rare instances the entire impeller assembly replaced. But these things are absolute workhorses

Oceanic tanks – sadly these are essentially gone now too since they were taken over. These tanks were built VERY solid. I once heard of a guy accidently drop one down a flight of stairs and still no leaks.

Thats easy. When people respond to a thread and say "Wow! Great deal. Wish I lived closer, I would grab that." Especially when they consider 30 miles to be too far for a "great deal."

Moonlight with moon phase programming that claimed to do magic to fish and coral. It is solid snake oil.

Mispeling agriveights me and all the abbreviations, lol....hehehehe.

Seriously though: Designing new sump, plumbing into system and then realizing your baffles are to high and it overflows!!!

I caught my kitten was playing with the calcium reactor output tubing today. She broke a glass canopy the other day.
I start to think she is a Bengal cat mix because she has all the bad traits.

Back