Thinking of buying from GC--good, bad, or just ugly?

SteveDola

Good Tings
BRS Member
I just called up for a quote from glass cages for a 90g RR with 3sides of starfire glass. I want a starfire tank to replace my 90 and I think the tech tank is alittle to pricey at 675. GC gave me a quote of 360 and pickup in boston come the 1st of the year.

Ive heard some bad things and good things about their quality but much of it hear say. Any first hand expirences? They give a 3 mth warranty which is cheap and alittle worrisome. Has anyone had GC tank fail? Not too worried about their rim because its going into a stand that covers the edges.

Any info is appreciated.

I just called up for a quote from glass cages for a 90g RR with 3sides of starfire glass. I want a starfire tank to replace my 90 and I think the tech tank is alittle to pricey at 675. GC gave me a quote of 360 and pickup in boston come the 1st of the year.

Ive heard some bad things and good things about their quality but much of it hear say. Any first hand expirences? They give a 3 mth warranty which is cheap and alittle worrisome. Has anyone had GC tank fail? Not too worried about their rim because its going into a stand that covers the edges.

Any info is appreciated.

I just bought a 70gal tech tank and I love it. The thing is very very heavy, I couldn't lift it completely alone. I don't know what GC uses for glass thickness on that sized tank but the Tech came with 1/2". I had considered a GC tank but the lack of warranty really just put me off. Three months in my mind is just unacceptable. Hell if your anything like be it will take 3 months just to set it up. :D

its 1/2" i believe she said. not really interested in spending 675 +tax for a 90g...does anyone else know another custom glass tank manu?

GC expirences?

Spend less and get less...I was in your shoes and found that the only way I was going to get what I wanted for less was to build it myself. GC has a bad reputation and often sends people the wrong tank. If I were in your situation right now I would either accept the higher price or build it myself.

build a glass tank? i dont think I could purchase the glass and supplies for 360. Geez, theyre tanks are that bad???? this is very unfortunate. do you/have you owned a GC tank?

I haven't owned one, but I've seen them and I called them and almost ordered one from them until I read MANY posts on forums where people complained about receiving the wrong tank. The one's I saw were messy looking. Some come out decent, but it seems to me like there are a lot more poor experiences out there than good ones. Remember, your paying 360 plus shipping, and shipping though them isn't cheap (and it doesn't come to your door either)

I have a GC tank. It looks awesome, but its been sitting empty in my garage for 9 months. I'm totally gonna set it up soon. Hmm... that's not much help. It looks well built though!

Also, just an FYI... My 60 gallon cubish tank tank cost me around $250 to build myself and GC wanted WAY more to build and deliver it to me.

I have a 120 GC with euro brace and love it !!!! I think its built very well. I would have to say its all in the eye of the beholder. And how big your wallet is..;)

I was very happy with my tank from them. 140 gallons with starfire front.
8869low_iron_front.jpg

8869tank.jpg

that tank looks good. I dont know...for the price I might have to gamble.

Im not asking for an elaborate setup either, just a 90g RR...if they cant do that then-;)

smcnally, do you know any tank manufacturers local that make starfire tanks? willing to pay for quality just not more than double like oceanic gets.

I think what it comes down to (as in all these GC threads) is not can they build a nice tank and do some people have good experiences with them.
Because obviously they can and there are, as we can see above.
What it comes down to IMO is how willing are you to become one of the many that they screw up on and then tell tough luck.
I guess too a factor would be how flexible is your design and how much flex can you justify for that savings.

A recent thread with a group pick up comes to mind where one of our members had a tank deliver with the holes and overflow in the wrong places.

My bro just picked up a 135g 2 weeks ago doesnt look to bad but there were alot of braces all around the tank

I had good luck with a glass cages tank as well. A little sloppy in one area on the silicone though, but nothing that really stands out.

Max Fischer recently had a bad experience w/ them, as Marc described.
Might want to search for Max's thread. Lots of info there.

I agree with what most have said. Although I had a good experience, there are a lot of people who hava had real sloppy tanks or tanks that are not correct (dimensions, hole or overflow placements). Up to you if the savings is worth the chance. If you do get something from them make sure it is specified in writing the dimensions and what sides specifically are to be starfire glass. I believe with Cory's tank they put the overflow on one of the starfire sides instead of a normal side!

Why not skip the Oceanic tech series and get a Oceanic ultimate series? Still starfire glass
They should be pretty close to the cost of a GC tank but you know it will be nice. Nice to have a warranty too.

ultimate series? are the new? cant seem to get pricing forr a 90 online. thanks for the headsup greg.

Back