Thinking of buying from GC--good, bad, or just ugly?

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/shipping/Glass_Aquarium_Listing.pdf

Keep in mind that Oceanic tanks are using Ultra-Clear glass which is a low iron glass but I don't think it is Starfire brand. Oceanic only claims that is on the front panel(just like the Tech series), some people think that some tanks are getting low iron on the three of the panels. Looking at my 70 tech I would agree as I can see no difference between the front and the sides. I placed a white piece of paper inside and compared the front and the sides and I can tell no difference.

Max Fischer recently had a bad experience w/ them, as Marc described.
Might want to search for Max's thread. Lots of info there.
Found it and read it. I was expecting the story to be a lot worse. I can totally picture how they screwed up that tank since it was supposed to be drilled on one of the narrow ends. It's too bad they don't have process in place to eliminate those kind of errors.

But getting back to the warranty thing: Has anyone had problems with the performance of their GC tank? I haven't seen anyone who got their tank successfully post about having problems with the tank itself. We know the visual aspects might not be perfect, but if you know that going in then whats the problem? For instance, mine is going in-wall so I didn't care about that.

The negative posts usually seem to come from people who don't own anything from GC. It's weird. GC really seems to get people fired up.

I own one of their acrylic sumps,
It's Ok even though it leaked the first time I added water, it was still easy to fix and it was $110 delivered for a 65 gallon sump.
I was in a jam and I had it in 2 days, not bad really.

I've also talked to them about doing custom work and warranty.
Once I spelled out what I expected. I was basically told no thanks go somewhere else.

Basically it is what it is and I respect them for that.
Asking them for a high quality custom with, a Cad drawing polished edges and warranty.
Is like pulling up to McDonalds and demanding a charcoal fired Black Angus burg with a promise of being hot. They make big mac, sometimeshot sometime not. If they would or could make a hot BA burger you can bet it wouldn't be the $2.
It's a business model, they fill a niche and they don't vary from it. Even if I can't respect their quality, I sure can respect them for identifying a market filling it, filling it well, sticking to it and excelling in it.

Last edited:
Back