This stand design strong enough?

If your nervous, you could double up on the vertical supports. It doesn't hurt to overbuild it like a brick sh*thouse, it gave me total piece of mind when building mine. Just keep in mind of your sump layout and your space needed underneath.

Ha!! Compared to some of the AGA and perfecto stands, that one is built like a tank.!!

Curious what you think is so bad about the design??

Ha!! Compared to some of the AGA and perfecto stands, that one is built like a tank.!!

Curious what you think is so bad about the design??

Well all my inlaws are carpenters, so from a framing stand point it doesn't look very strong. All the load transfered threw screws and glue kind of bothers me.

It will be fine. I would lose the center 2x4. The jack stud and king stud are fine. If you are worried use 2x6 header. That will be more than enough. My 45 gal is on some piece of particle board crap, and no framing. My 90 gallon is built like mentioned above(with framing). Good luck!

Well all my inlaws are carpenters, so from a framing stand point it doesn't look very strong. All the load transfered threw screws and glue kind of bothers me.

The load isn't transfered to the screws. All the verticle supporting 2x4s go from the ground to the bottom of the tank. The edges of your tank should be sitting on plywood that is on top of those boards. The glue isn't necessary, but it helps prevent flexing and loosening of screws over time.

The load isn't transfered to the screws. All the verticle supporting 2x4s go from the ground to the bottom of the tank. The edges of your tank should be sitting on plywood that is on top of those boards. The glue isn't necessary, but it helps prevent flexing and loosening of screws over time.

Wasn't planning on useing a plywood top. So wouldn't the load be transfered threw the screws if I did it that way??

If your inlaws are carpenters , you should have no problem building a super stand with there help

I'd put a plywood top on it. It will sit flatter than just the 2x's on edge and also prevent racking of the frame. As for the basic design that's the way my 210 stand is constructed,

I'd put a plywood top on it. It will sit flatter than just the 2x's on edge and also prevent racking of the frame. As for the basic design that's the way my 210 stand is constructed,

What do you think, 1/4 inch good enough? Maybe leave it some what floating to keep it flatter??

Wasn't planning on useing a plywood top. So wouldn't the load be transfered threw the screws if I did it that way??

If you built the back with a facing like the front, then no, it wouldn't be. The facing provides wood contact from floor to top.

Back