Those of you supplementing LEDs w/t5

jason401

Non-member
Couple questions for those using LEDs as main lights and t5's as supplement :confused:

Which bulbs are you using and why.

What's your led - t5 schedule.

What Led fixture are you using.

I use a blue plus to cancel out the 6500k spectrum from the geissmann tropic bulb - these are growth bulbs to me. Coral plus for pop. UCL actinic for UV spectrum cause my gen 2 radions don't have it

lighting.jpg

Gen 2 Radion Pro
2 - 24" Coral Plus T5

I have the T5's running for 5 hours per day, from 1:30 until 6:30.
Radion starts at 9:30am and goes to 20k, then 18k, then 14k, then 12k for a short period, then reverse back to off at 10:30pm......all at 50% intensity.

Wow that's perefect, I'm running gen1 radions.

Thinking of adding two 36" bulbs specifically for UV which my fixtures lack.

Thank you for your input.

Would you think two 36" UVL would be too much on a 4ft standard 75 gallon?

Or would you recommend another bulb in combination with UVL?

I would use one Uvl and maybe a blue plus and then use the radion to balance out the visual aspect.

Here is my DIY frame

0447C87A-1F64-4571-9D94-4798095C80F6-1476-000000B4D6E8C347_zps18bbaf77.jpg

I have the T5's running for 5 hours per day, from 1:30 until 6:30.

Myram, at 5 hours a day, how long would you think your bulbs last before needing replacement?

I'm also trying to figure out cost analysis over radion pro upgrade. And possibly ditching the t5 idea.

I've run the coral and actinic from 9-9 for the past 2 years. Added the blue plus and 6500k in November.

I would guess at least 18 months.
It's the on and off that hurt the life of the bulbs, but definitely only 5 hours a day will extend the lift a lot. Normal usage ratings is like 12 months, so at 1/2 usage it should be 24 maybe.

I have my 2 48" inch t5's run for 5 hours in the middle of my lighting cycle. My leds run from noon to midnight with 2 hour ramp up ramp down cycles. So my t5s come on at 3pm till 8pm.

Myram, at 5 hours a day, how long would you think your bulbs last before needing replacement?

I'm also trying to figure out cost analysis over radion pro upgrade. And possibly ditching the t5 idea.
I'm running 2 gen 3 pro's over a standard 75g and still using T5's. I run mine mostly to make up for shadowing on the undersides of larger Sps colonies.
Right now I'm running my Radions for 11 hours a day and T5's for 4 hours a day, but I want to slowly ramp that up so it goes all day with my normal lighting schedule.
I'm using a purple plus (accidentally broke my blue plus) and a coral plus at the moment but am considering buying different bulbs to try and find a sweet spot.

I'm running 4 T5 along with my radion gen 3 pro. I use 2 coral plus and 2 blue plus. I really like the color that I get from these bulbs. My radion runs from 10am to 10pm. One set of T5 comes on at 2 to 8 and the other set from 2:30 to 7:30.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424006533.799569.jpg

I'm running 2 gen 3 pro's over a standard 75g and still using T5's. I run mine mostly to make up for shadowing on the undersides of larger Sps colonies.
Right now I'm running my Radions for 11 hours a day and T5's for 4 hours a day, but I want to slowly ramp that up so it goes all day with my normal lighting schedule.

This is pretty much exactly what I will be going for. I'm going to try the coral+ and UVL buld. I should have everything by the end of the week.

I'll get pictures up and progress shots for others that are interested

I'm running 4 T5 along with my radion gen 3 pro. I use 2 coral plus and 2 blue plus. I really like the color that I get from these bulbs. My radion runs from 10am to 10pm. One set of T5 comes on at 2 to 8 and the other set from 2:30 to 7:30.

View attachment 103667

Hey manny, sweet fixture like Jason said! What setting do you run the radion at?

How many people are running the wide angle Tir lenses with their T5's?
I'm considering switching mine to the wide angle lenses thinking that if I'm adding more light with t5's maybe I could also get a better spread with the Radions? Thoughts???

I added them when I added the additional t5s. I need to get my hands on a par meter again to see if I wanna adjust the intensity at all

Back