Thoughts on Bristle Worms

chadfish

BRS Member
I’ve been noticing a lot of organic matter coming out of my sand bed and from under rocks when I use a turkey baster. Seems like the remains of many creatures that have died over the years. I have Narcissus snails, hermit crabs, fighting conch, etc, but these particles persist.

Would bristle worms eat it? Should I deliberately add bristle worms to my sand bed? Or am I asking for trouble?

I got a tigertail cucumber that does great collecting junk under my rocks. Had him in sand and barebottom, collects it all and poops it in a pile haha.

Also got bristle worms that help clean up food, detritus, etc. Main thing i hate about bristle worms is getting stung/stuck by them when moving rocks etc, they hide on the underside and you grab them by accident. Gloves prevent this though.

Try to add more flow if your sand bed allows it or redirect flow to under rockwork better?

I’d try and add more flow to avoid those sorts of build ups. I’ve had mixed experiences with bristle worms and am trying to keep them out of my new display.

I posted a couple of years ago an experience where I saw one of my old clown fish flailing around and saw a bristle worm latched on to it. Didn’t get a video of the incident but did get the worm off and it was a bristle worm.

I’d try and add more flow to avoid those sorts of build ups. I’ve had mixed experiences with bristle worms and am trying to keep them out of my new display.

I posted a couple of years ago an experience where I saw one of my old clown fish flailing around and saw a bristle worm latched on to it. Didn’t get a video of the incident but did get the worm off and it was a bristle worm.

Did the clown fish survive?

Huh, I’ve always considered bristle worms to be both unavoidable and beneficial. Just watch your fingers :)

I would let the nature of captivity take its course. Bristles will multiply quickly and they can be a pain in the a** if out of control. I typically will remove any worms I easily find because IME for every one you find there are 20 more. Theyre opportunistic and can cause some issues on stressed corals/clams/fish. Ive had an infestation in previous tanks which required a wrasse to combat but theyre always learking in the rocs/sand.

Back