TLF Phosban Reactor

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I was looking into getting one of these. Problem is I have very minimal space behind my tank to run this. My question is exactly how wide is this reactor. I have only about 4 1/4" behind my tank to play with.

Also if its too wide. What would be a way in hooking this up to run under my tank.

also can I run two in series. Using the outlet of one as the inlet to the other?

also can I run two in series. Using the outlet of one as the inlet to the other?

You should have no problem with the space behind your tank.... and some people run theres in series... I just don't know which they do first, the carbon or the phosphate control....

Currently setting mine up still..will be hanging off the back of the sump(was also told you can put it in the sump?) I only have a 55 with a 30 sump and the minimal amount of media in the canister to work properly is 150 grams(which is roughly 2 times more than I need) I was also told I can put carbon in it as well to compensate for the amount of phosban I will be using(2 birds..1 stone?) dunno yet..I am STILL setting mine up and it is also by 2lf

i run my TLF reactors in series. my first reactor has carbon and the second has phosphate media.

I was also looking at the Kent Phos Reactor. I guess either one would work fine, both within the same price range.

I guess what I need to know now is how to run them in series. Which is the best way to run them with either the phosphate remover first or the carbon first. Also what would be the best carbon media to run in one of these reactors.

I found a pump laying around that I think might work which is a rio 180 which has a flow rate of 120. Now would this be fine or should I also get a valve on the first inlet to reduce the flow. The flow rate should be roughly the same as the inlet and the outlet, but does carbon need a slower rate than the phosphate.

I was also looking at the Kent Phos Reactor. I guess either one would work fine, both within the same price range.

I guess what I need to know now is how to run them in series. Which is the best way to run them with either the phosphate remover first or the carbon first. Also what would be the best carbon media to run in one of these reactors.

I found a pump laying around that I think might work which is a rio 180 which has a flow rate of 120. Now would this be fine or should I also get a valve on the first inlet to reduce the flow. The flow rate should be roughly the same as the inlet and the outlet, but does carbon need a slower rate than the phosphate.

Phosphate needs less flow than the carbon.... the phosphate remover you want to be moving slightly as not to grind the granules into dust and possibly killing your fish... the other thing is .... I think the 2lf's are smaller than the Kents unit... so if you were going to put it in the back I'd go with the 2lf's.

ok so i will put the phosphate second and use a valve going into the second reactor inlet to slow down the flow. I guess i will cut the flow in half and only put about roughly 60gph through the phosphate media.

The flow control valve should be mounted before both reactors, you don't want to create back pressure in one of the reactors as it could result in leaks. Also, it doesn't matter where the valve is anyway in regards to flow, you could put it before both, in the middle, or after both reactors and the resulting flow through both chambers would be the same unless you bled some water off somewhere along the way...

The flow control valve should be mounted before both reactors, you don't want to create back pressure in one of the reactors as it could result in leaks. Also, it doesn't matter where the valve is anyway in regards to flow, you could put it before both, in the middle, or after both reactors and the resulting flow through both chambers would be the same unless you bled some water off somewhere along the way...

Thanks.

Any suggestions on what type of carbon media to use in the reactor?

I ended up buying two Kent Phos Reactors and will run them inline with first the carbon and second the phosphate remover.

I am going to use a minijet 404 to run the reactors and send about 40gph through the reactors. How does this sound?

I recieved my Kent Phos Reactors today along with my mini jet 404 to run it.

I already have them hooked up in series running carbon in the first and rowaphos in the second. So far so good.

Back