Too Much Pump?

Spooky

Non-member
I keep hearing differing opinions on pumps and just want some more opinions before I hook it up. I have a 65 gallon AGA tank with the mageflow kit installed and a 780/gph QuietOne pump. Here's my concern, I keep hearing that the megaflow is rated for around 600/gph or somewhere near that. Will I have too much flow or will this work? I also keep hearing about head loss and have only a vague understanding of it. I believe it has to do with the distance the water has to travel vertically but am not sure. Any advice would be greatly appreciated I really want to get some water in this tank tonight.
Spooky

this calculator should get you going.
You should be able to work out exactly what your quiet one will be delivering after your height and plumbing is taken into consideration.
I very much doubt it will be too much for your overflow.

To use the calculator,trace your plumbing and enter the data then select your pump from the drop down list.

http://reefcentral.com/calc/hlc2.php

You'll have at least some head loss, and IMO, the 600GPH rating is a bit conservative. Sounds just right to me. If you've already got the pump, fire it up, if water doesn't come cascading over the top of the tank your all set :)

(Just plan on taking a little time to get the duroso working just right to maximize how much it will flow.)

Back