Touchless Water Level Control... any interest?

Bill and Elaine said:
I wonder if the light senser will get dirty from salt spray or creep and malfunction??

Light sensor can be 20cm away from the water if you are worried. In my install, the sensors will be at the top of a thin tube; low chance of a bubble coming up that tube, bursting, and sending spray up more than a few cm's.

Also, if the light emitter, light receiver, or both get blocked, the system would register that as water too low, and sound the alarm. The system expects to always receive a signal. If it doesn't, then under normal circumstances the water has dropped too low, but it could mean something covering the sensor. If that did happen, a quick wipe will fix it.

Last edited:
Dennis,
Yes, mine will be the test. I am not releasing this on the public without knowing it will work first :)
I just wanted to see if there was enough interest for me to actually design a circuitboard. If no one else wanted one, I would just breadboard the whole thing.

Mark

Reef55 said:
Looks like I need to work on the circuitboard... :)
Can you call me about where you are getting these done? I am curious as to how to make some circuits for myself.
M.

Ok, I finished the design of the circuitboard today, and placed an order so I can test it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out :)

Mark

Is this going to work by simply pointing a light/laser beam at the point where the minimum water level should be? Is so, I think I am in! Does it require darkness? I have my float switch in the lighted sump area.

Pantinor, it points light directly down at the water, and picks up the reflection. You can put the emitter and sensor in a small pvc pipe tube it keep it shielded from any stray light. I still need to test if that is going to be a requirement or just an extra precaution.

Mark

Interference

If you guys have trouble with interference, a little '555 chip and passive high pass filter will probably solve all of your problems. Just get the speed over 1kHz and you should be in the clear.

How does this system judge distance down the PVC tube if it is looking straight down at a relatively flat, reflective surface?

Back