Touchless Water Level Control... any interest?

travester said:
If you guys have trouble with interference, a little '555 chip and passive high pass filter will probably solve all of your problems. Just get the speed over 1kHz and you should be in the clear.

How does this system judge distance down the PVC tube if it is looking straight down at a relatively flat, reflective surface?

Good ol' 555 is already in there, thanks though :)

Mark

Update... I built version one over the weekend. The sensor portion works well, but the way the LED's light and turn pumps on / off didn't work quite as I had intended. I'll be reworking that portion of the schematic and then circuitboard over the next few days, then order more boards to test...

Mark

Mark, I didnt know you're a graduated EE major. I'm majoring in EE as well but dont know enough and dont have enough experience to buit my own anything.
Thats a great idea and design. Please let me know when you're finish with the project.

LOL... I'm not an EE :) I graduated as a computer science major... I just happen to like playing around with EE stuff ;) You're welcome to stop by and check out the design if you want.

Actually, as an update...

part of the changes I am making are to make it totally solid state driven... meaning no mechanic relays in the system at all.

I am happy with my tank auto topoff, but do you think this will work or could be adapted to a koi pond auto top off?

Pantinor, I certainly prefer to use solid-state as there will not be any moving parts (so no mechanic failure) on the board. I picked parts that would allow for a heavy duty inductive (example, pumps) up to 6 amps to be run off either the return pump or top off outlet. Overbuilt, and just about spot on the same pricing as using mechanic relays. Now I just need to redesign the circuitboard.

JBendel, I am sure it could be used for a koi pond.

Please put down for a board.

My background is Switching Power Supply Design, so if you have any questions on circuit design .. please feel free to PM me. In the past .. I 've built a wave timer switching the AC with Triacs (plus the good old 555 for timing). If you want anything "PSPICE'd" ... give me a shout. I 'm guessing you have layout software.

Heya Mark,
Just a quick note to let you know I'm still interested in one of these once you get the design hammered out.

Steve

Will you also be offering bare boards without the parts kit? Are these using SMT or thru-hole components?

Hello everyone... sorry for the long wait between updates. Things got busy elsewhere for me, so I had to put this on hold for a few weeks. I have the next revision done.. just need parts and new boards ordered.

Waltm: it uses thru-hole components. I haven't decided how to offer this yet. Easy enough to just send a board and parts list, but my concern is someone putting one together incorrectly and it causing a problem in their tank. I am still thinking about that.

Mark,
I would take one also. I have been working on a design of my own using Gem ELS900 ir sensors but have not finished the art work. If yours is further along count me in.

Last edited:
Mark,
Are you planning on posting a new thread for taking orders on this item? Might be a good idea since you have a lot of members interested in purchasing one (including me).

Steve

Well, I received the next revision of boards and parts today. I'll build and test it later this week, although I'll be gone for the weekend so it will probably be a week or 2 before I am ready to post results on it.

I'm going to hold out on setting up orders until I know it works :)

Back