Training your fish to eat what you desire to feed.

bdaley

BRS Member
Orange Spot Filefish.

These fish are one of my all time loves in the hobby, I have kept them on and off but never in a reef setting. I pickup one in Jan from B at UA and just fed her browned out acros. I also picked up a trio of small ones about 1.5 inches, one male and two females, two months ago. I was determined that the trio was not going to eat acros and set out to do what I always do and get them to eat live black worms as I do with all my fish. Well guess what, all three are sucking them down as fast as they can, this weekend was the first time I was able to get all three to eat them.
Here is how I was able to do this.
March all three arrived eating SPS only. I placed them in a 29 QT with three browned out acro mini colonies and one dead acro. It is important to stick the dead acro stick in the mini colony so they see it and pick at it from time to time. What I do with the dead stick is thaw out frozen foods and then re-freeze it to the dead stick of acro and place it back into the mini colony, for the first month they would look at it and that was about it. As their food supply dwindled they would peck at it but not feed. I would say about three weeks ago they started to pick at it, at first just the male and the females followed a few days later. I removed the mini colonies and kept just the dead stick in there for a week till they were attacking it with gusto. Now I was able to move to the second phase of their training with no acro at all in the tank. Just broadcast feeding them frozen UVA. They took right to it on the third attempt, again the male was the first then followed be the females on the next hour feeding. (When I train fish I use a bare bottom tank and attempt the feeding each hr) this allows me to keep the tank clean. Second phase complete time for the third. Last weekend I started to food process some live black worms and feed in the same manner since then I tried the whole live black worms the fish swam to the other side of the tank and wanted nothing to do with them, I had to see how they would react to them. Since they wanted nothing to do with them I decided to blend them. It took them about 15 minutes of my dripping one drop of blended worms every few minutes before they ate the worms. I fed them like that for two days. I tried the whole worms again and same thing they wanted nothing to do with the worms. I had a bright idea of monkey see monkey do and put a fairy wrasse that loves the worms with them. BINGO they watched the wrasse eat them and the next feeding an hr later the male started to peck at the live worms then he sucked one down. The females took another full day of inspection before they started to eat the worms. So now I have three of the prettiest fish out there eating what I need them to eat to keep it simple. I have been asked a lot when I talk about my feeding on where I get my worms, I have used Eastern Aquatics for my worms since relocating to the east coast. http://shop.easternaquatics.com/.

Congrats!!
I purchased a small CBB and refused to eat............grabbed some live black worms and eats like a hog now :)
Good to know there is another supplier vs the California one (Aquatic Farms).

Eastern Aquatics

Congrats!!
I purchased a small CBB and refused to eat............grabbed some live black worms and eats like a hog now :)
Good to know there is another supplier vs the California one (Aquatic Farms).

They are a great company, they always return calls and email, normally within the hr, that is why I just deal with them. I have never lost a batch from them either like I have ordering for CA. Glad to see another feeding this great food.

how do you get the worms to live a month like eastern aquatics says? a LFS told me to put them in RO water and put them in the fridge? but they lasted about a week that way

I rinse mine every morning with cold tap water. Keep them no more than 3/8" thick and cover with just enough cold tap water to cover the top.

24/7 in the fridge at 35 degrees (minus the 2min I take out to feed or change water/rinse).

I just use worm keeps and they are wrong, I keep mine for almost a year. If you clean them every week, which only means emptying the water and spraying them with cold tap water. they will last until all are eaten, but keeping them clean is important. I never use RO water not dirty enough for them. Yes the fridge is where I keep mine, I bought a small fridge so the wife would stop giving the "oh really eyes".

Im giving you all the "oh really" eyes right now...

HAHAHA

Seriously going to look into these, I have never heard of them!

Nicole,

Not only will you see great color and health in your fish, you will save a lot of money and you don't end up putting all the extra crap in your systems. I also hatch baby brine once a week and dump them in the tanks, the coral and smaller fish love it.

I ordered it from the other site, but to be honest a shallow Tupperware works with about 1/2 inch of water, and rinse then every day or two with cold tap water to remove the waste. I also put a few flakes of food in every few days, I have kept then for 6 months easy in the fridge.

Back