Tripp lite inverter, apex, and me

cilyjr

Chris
I purchased an inverter to run stuff if the power goes out after visiting @drsalomon the other day. We've all seen Greg Hiller's presentation or read his reefkeeping article on avoiding disasters, but it really sunk in the other day for me. I have a generator but what happens if I'm not here?

My inverter will be arriving in the mail next week. It's a tripp lite APS1250. This is both the inverter/transfer switch and battery charger so it runs a few dollars. But it's cheaper than rebuilding my reef!

the really cool thing is how the apex works with an inverter (this was Art's influence on me). The apex "sees" the power is out and will automatically (with a bit of programming) shut down any non essential devices. Not only that, but it will kick my circulation pumps down to 30% (or whatever I want) until power is restored.
A brief diagram of how to wire it (this is from Russ at the neptune systems board)
ultimate.jpg

Now I need some help. I am going to buy 2 deep cycle marine batteries to run this but am unsure what to buy. I don't want to go crazy but I know that especially with batteries you get what you pay for so I guess I'm looking for decent middle of the road. What would you buy?

I may put a thread in the diy forum when I set this up. I'll post a link here later if I do.

Official big thanks to
@drsalomon for the tour and my annoying questions via pm. And of course @Greg Hiller for that presentation I saw all those years ago. I'm finally getting around to this. Better late than never!

Last edited:
Back