Triton method

TheRiver

Formally: The River Reef
Is anyone using this method on their reef tank? looking for feedback on the method.
Considering trying this out on a biocube but it would take major changes into the rear layout and wanted to see if the system is worth the effort. thanks

From wha I heard of it it does work... but it can be more expensive than regular water changes and standard dosing components. Plus it is not good at nutrient export since you are keeping everything in there and just adding their dosing components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would want a sump with a refugium to export nitrates if you are planning the triton method.

I am going to give it a try but keep all my filter gear if it ends in a problem. I cleared out my entire center area which is almost 2 gallons in volume... pretty close to 10 percent. placed marine pure balls in the bottom... once the tank is ready for inhabitants I plan to add skimmer in the ref section to remove the proteins. lastly I am building a custom GFO/ carbon box that will slide in-between the ref section and return section. curious to see how it works. plan on trying the other method system with trident and reduce my water changes to 10 percent monthly if possible. i might be crazy but its worth a shot

Did you watch the BRS triton series? They did it I watched a bit of the first episode and then went “nope!” Because I didn’t even dose calcium/alkalinity at that time. If you search the Boston Reefer forum reef talk someone was talking about it about a year ago.

I've converted to a triton sump etc, but dose aquaforest elements. My fuge is jam pack full of cheto, my ph is wicked high, and all my hair alge gone. So it's much better than it was but I'm still tinkering

Ps I haven't tested yet but I was going to use a company in Colorado for icp. They sell 4 tests for $99. There available on amazon, perhaps if enough of us ask yurgose will carry them

Did you watch the BRS triton series? They did it I watched a bit of the first episode and then went “nope!” Because I didn’t even dose calcium/alkalinity at that time. If you search the Boston Reefer forum reef talk someone was talking about it about a year ago.

That was the hook and sinker for me lol... Watched that, heard no water changes every week and healthy tank... I had to read up more on it

I’ve been running full triton method for a while if you have any questions. No issues here.
Oh good we need to chat... First question is how do you get the additives lol i cant find them anywhere to get started. And how are you dosing, by hand or dosing pump

I dose through a three channel doser. I mix parts 3a and 3b together. I actually bought my first two sets of core 7 through a member here. Then When I see them in stock at BRS or somewhere I get a couple more. There has been a shortage as of late but I hear that will be fixed soon. I try to keep a few sets here to weather any shortage in the supply chain.

I dose through a three channel doser. I mix parts 3a and 3b together. I actually bought my first two sets of core 7 through a member here. Then When I see them in stock at BRS or somewhere I get a couple more. There has been a shortage as of late but I hear that will be fixed soon. I try to keep a few sets here to weather any shortage in the supply chain.
What doser are you running... Been looking into affordable options. I run an apex jr but have my modules maxed out so i need something independent other than the power on and off

I run a kamoer. People here seem to like the four channel doser Dong sells. I have no experience with them.

Bumping this thread because why not? Just kidding I really have a reason... In my epic bored off my butt at work where I spend most of my time just researching tank stuff or watching movies I have been looking at this method as my plan is to add a reverse gravity refugium to my set up and this method seems like it would go well with what I'm trying to do. It's super simple and getting the 10X turnover in a 25 gallon tank means I could use a really cheap pump like a maxi-jet 1200 for crying out loud so that makes it even easier. Plus I'd probably only need to use 1-2 ml of each solution based on how I'm only using 10-12 ml of normal 2 part.

So besides checking in to see how guys using the Triton method have been doing I did have a quick question about how long the solution lasts before it expires? Would like to know because that would definitely effect if I purchase the larger bulk package or the smaller ones.

Feel free to chime in with your positive or negative (hopefully no negative) experiences...

ICP testings is an integrated part of Triton method. For trace elements, due to they can be toxic if over dosed, you have to be able to monitor their levels. ICP test is so far the only way to measure them, give or take the accuracy. Unfortunately it is an expensive test, it is about the same cost of 200 gallon good salt mix.

Disclaimer: I sell Triton products, and I try to give my opinion based on facts as much as possible.

ICP testings is an integrated part of Triton method. For trace elements, due to they can be toxic if over dosed, you have to be able to monitor their levels. ICP test is so far the only way to measure them, give or take the accuracy. Unfortunately it is an expensive test, it is about the same cost of 200 gallon good salt mix.

Disclaimer: I sell Triton products, and I try to give my opinion based on facts as much as possible.

I just like the reduced or no water changes aspect and it seems to just go in line with what I was planning to do with the reverse fuge except that I would have to keep the skimmer instead of going all fuge for nutrient export.

Currently I'm only doing about 3-5 weekly water changes since my system is only 25 gallons so it wouldn't be a huge cost savings if at all but it's something to think about since my town just more than doubled the water and sewer rates :rolleyes:.

Just seems doable for my current simple set up to possibly make it even more simpler and I'm always looking at ways to tinker which sometimes drives me nuts and it seems like the Triton method is more set it and forget it and just enjoy the tank :cool:

Back