Triton method question...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Looking at starting the triton method with my tank and also swapping over to Tropic Marin salt as well and I was wondering if it would be better to go with the pro reef mix at 7 DKH or the classic mix with at 9/10 DKH seeing how Triton aims to have DKH at 8 and in theory if it works I should be doing minimal water changes anyways...

Been running full Triton for 2+ yrs. using Tropic Pro. ALK at 8.3 to 8.5. Happy so far. 3 water changes of 5% during that time.

I am also considering switching to Triton Method. Somehow, most of my SPSs turn brown/purple in my tank, don't know which elements are off. I use Red Sea trace elements with Tropic Marin Reef Pro salt. All other parameters are good. I am waiting for my Triton ICP water test to come back.

jcherepo nice to hear that you are happy with the method. Do I have to rally change my sump to Triton sump? I have a 30 Gallon sump with 10-12 Gallon of refugium with Cheato. The main tank is for 140 Gallons. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks.

My setup is 180 with ~40gallon sump. Most of the sump is a refugium. No filter socks, just chaeto and large skimmer. I do run a uv which people debate about. My chaeto has not grown as strong over the past 3-4 months but that is because my nitrates and phosphates are dropping off pretty low. I feed white worms and frozen only and I have heard that LRS does not contain many phosphates like flake or pellets. Probably need to increase my bioload as well as I only have 6 fish! I am fairly hands off and only do ICP test 2-3 per year. Tank is definitely on the young side @2+ years so take it for what it is worth.
-Joe

Thanks Joe for a through response. With the Triton system what concerns me the most is no filter socks part. I have ClariSea (automatic filter fleece) which takes most of the junk/uneaten food. I am somewhat hesitant to give that up go without it. I also feed frozen (home made) but I have more than twice as many fish than you.

Seems like I will need to get a larger sump with a large section for refugium if I go with the Triton Method. Thanks again!@

You can go with the Triton other method if you have something other than just a refugium and skimmer set up. The other method you can basically use any other filtration systems just takes a little more fine tuning from what I've read...

Back