Tropic Isle aquarium - Framingham, MA

Yeah, the compressor on the main a/c unit blew 2 Thursdays ago and AGAIN last Friday. Some tanks went up to 92F !!! 2 van loads of ice, massive water changes, and about 12 portable fans later we got things under reasonable control. Aquacultured corals slowly died off after a few days. Fish faired better for the most part. We didn't order for 2 weeks waiting for things to balance out. So far so good. HUGE shipments of fish, corals, and inverts due to come in next week. I'll try and post a list in the vender section if possible.

Thanks,

Dan

Tropic Isle doesn't care about its customers

I went to Tropic Isle tonight with a coupon that I printed off the web at 7:00pm. I received the coupon in an email and the deal was buy 1 Marine Fish get one FREE. I thought....It must be too good to be true, but I drove out there anyway.

I pick out two fish and my friend does the same. The coupon said limit 4 sets of 2. So we arrive at the counter with 4 fish all priced at 39.95. The lady at the counter says, "That coupon is a misprint by our publishing company and we are not doing that deal. Instead we are doing buy one get one 1/2 off". At this point I am still very calm. I say, "You have to honor an advertised price because: 1.) I am a loyal customer (It said so on the top of my coupon) and I spend $100 bucks a week here. 2.) Its the law, false advertisement?

So she goes and gets the manager. Same story. We are not going to honor that coupon it?s not our fault the print house messed it up. Me, "Well call the print house and tell them they are liable for the difference". Lady, "we are not going to honor the coupon.

Last straw. If you are not willing to budge on a $40 difference I am going to walk out of this store and I will not come back. Evil Lady, "that?s fine". Me, "My friend and I spend hundreds here every month this is stupid. You are loosing good customers at the price of $20 each. She takes the fish from me and says, "Fine don't come back"

Bottom line:
If a store is so unwilling to keep you as a customer then why would you shop there? They do have a few people there who really know their stuff, but they shouldn't be able to run a business so poorly. Personally, I'd like to see them go out of business over $40 but I'm sure that won't happen. Just be warned...Oh they also dosed all their tanks with Malachite Green just as I left so you can bet that if you don't quarantine the fish you get from there you will be guaranteed to get ICK (I saw it on dozens of fish, check out the butterflies).

I'm not big on holding grudges. So Tropic Isle...Offer the deal that you passed me up on, 2 for the price of 1, to everyone on Boston reefers and I will return as a customer.

Since they are aware of the misprint they probably should have had something posted at the register. Furthermore, they should also have sent a follow up email to the email list informing of the misprint and that they would be unable to honor but in lieu you can get 1/2 off. Is there any type of disclaimer on the email or coupon about misprints? As far as I am concerned they probably should have honored it for people that made a fuss. Good will can go a long way and as we know from reading 9 pages worth of TI posts there seem to be a lot more members negatively posting here than are praising TI.

Terrible Experience

I had a very similar expirience as Pheonix. I got the coupon last night and had to read it twice. Tropical Isle with an actual good deal. I was talking to Leo about the coupon and said that I couldn't believe it. He said that it was a misprint but that they would probably honor since I am in there all the time (3 times since last sunday, its on my way home from work.) I had picked out a two fish that I was i brought them to the front and showed the woman (from my expirience with her has never been in a good mood) my coupon. She told me taht it was a misprint and that they would not honor it. I also told her that I got it yesterday and that they should really take it out on the advertising company and not their loyal customers. She refused to budge on the topic and I did not buy the fish. The guys working in the with the fish are great hardworkers and always have good information for me if I need it but their management continues to disapoint and frustrate me. It is a shame that they do not treat their customers better especially the ones that drive by thier store everyday after work. I am not sure how many more times I can bite my lip with the management there.

I will reiterate what pheonix said
I'm not big on holding grudges. So Tropic Isle...Offer the deal that you passed me up on, 2 for the price of 1, to everyone on Boston reefers and I will return as a customer.

Hoping that they do the right thing. Is a couple hundred bucks really worth loosing customers, maybe they are still hard up after the airconditioner incident.

I have that coupon printed and sitting in my printer tray as I type this. I was going to take a trip down there today but won't waste my time now. Thanks for the heads up.

Steve

I enjoy the selection at Tropic Isle and there are some employees who I seek out to work with, because they are just star employees. As per the other ones, they work there. Dry goods and such are over priced.

Green Manderains are hard to keep, I'd love to own one but I've never been able to get the nesisary live food for them. I even hired a painter to make a custom painting of that fish because I've never been able to keep one...what system have you set up for that beautiful dragon?

I would recommend Tropic Isle as a local free aquarium. . .kind of a "This is what's out there" type of place.

As per the cupon thing...that's nuts. They should have been willing to give in, based upon false advertisment(which the BBB will not enjoy hearing about), loyal customer, and who you are associated with. They've not only lost your patronage, but StevenP's aswell.

Last edited:
I enjoy the selection at Tropic Isle and there are some employees who I seek out to work with, because they are just star employees. As per the other ones, they work there. Dry goods and such are over priced.

Green Manderains are hard to keep, I'd love to own one but I've never been able to get the nesisary live food for them. I even hired a painter to make a custom painting of that fish because I've never been able to keep one...what system have you set up for that beautiful dragon?

I would recommend Tropic Isle as a local free aquarium. . .kind of a "This is what's out there" type of place.

As per the cupon thing...that's nuts. They should have been willing to give in, based upon false advertisment(which the BBB will not enjoy hearing about), loyal customer, and who you are associated with. They've not only lost your patronage, but StevenP's aswell.

It really stinks have such and awsome store with one or 2 people to mess up a Team of really awsome people...

I can see both sides of the stories to this...Putting myself in the owners shoes and potentially loosing $10,000's in fish to this coupon. I'm not sure what i'd do...Imagine going in ab buying a $300 fish and getting one free?

What they should have done is instead of just flatly denying everyone is offer Something else...

So it could have went like this

Customer "I'd like to use this coupon?"
Clerk "Oh I'm sorry that was a mistake on the publishers behalf, we are truly sorry for this mishap...Instead we are Offering X offer in hopes that you can forgive us for this awful mistake, we would love to honor this coupon, but with our selection it would be impossible and with enough use could severely impact our business"

Now if the customer didn't understand then give it too them...But they should be a** kissing at this point...Yes it's not thier fault...but it IS there responsibity for damage control.

AND post it on the Door, Signs on the Store, Next to all the fish.

So that a customer isn't buying fish thinking they are going to use it and get to the counter and get embarrassed.

Also too the Fish guys should be alerted and let each and every customer...(like if they are picking 2 of everything) know before hand..

When it comes down it it people are understanding...but you have to look like you've gone out of your way to make up for it..

Although I did not receive a retraction by e-mail I would think by now the store has sent out a correction to everyone in the database that was sent the original. It must have been filtered out on my e-mails.

You can look at this as a learning experience. Review marketing material before it goes to the global. A moment to proof advertising prevents people from the perception of bait and switch.

Very mixed feelings about Tropical Isle also. Never really had problems with the sales staff, but management/owner. Just to share, I was there 6-7years ago and an older lady along with an older man (assuming manager/owner because the lady was telling the clerks what to do) was very rude. I got a store credit $100 from a friend and wanted to transfer in my name so I can use it in the future. I went into the store to ask and the lady said all I need was for my friend to sign the back of the slip and it would be fine. I drove to my friends house, came back in one hour with his signature. She VERY rudely said... anyone could have signed that slip and give me the evil eye & rolling her eyes. So she had to call my friend to confirm before issuing me the store credit. I bought something with that store credit and never been there since.

Publisher for an email??? Sounds ummm fishy..

I'm in the computer field...they do have services that provide this...especially for the computer illiterate, or just in general who dont have time to send emails to 1000 people.

So I believe it 100%

10 cents on paper :eek:
What do you think? The double-standard prices get them enough money for those 5 sheets, possibly laminated?

Good point I didn't think of that..

Laminated!! now you are just getting out of control!!, that could be an extra 10 cents!! on top of the 10 cents...that'd be $1 for 5 sheets...

Comeon now be reasonable! :p

Since they are aware of the misprint they probably should have had something posted at the register. Furthermore, they should also have sent a follow up email to the email list informing of the misprint and that they would be unable to honor but in lieu you can get 1/2 off. Is there any type of disclaimer on the email or coupon about misprints? As far as I am concerned they probably should have honored it for people that made a fuss. Good will can go a long way and as we know from reading 9 pages worth of TI posts there seem to be a lot more members negatively posting here than are praising TI.

In their defence, I was in there on Sunday and they had signs posted everywhere.

Mike

On saturday

Its good to see tha they have posted some more signs. When i was there on saturday they had one at the register. It was a little latea since we had all the fish in the bags. I have a feeling that I may have been the first person to try and use this coupon. I asked one of the fish guys and he had not seen it before. While I was there picking out my fish someone came back and told them all there was a misprint. I asked on of the guys about the coupon and he said that it was a misprint but since I come there alot they should be fine, especially since the free fish I had was $40. Their management needs to use their heads every once in a while and stop thinking that just because they are the only saltwater fish store in the area they can treat their customers like crap. Use some judgement, you can honor your coupon and loose $40 today but 3 days later I may be back to buy the corals I was Eying. I will be going to skiptons or sea creatures from now on.

Tropic Isle... A-gain

Edited. First hand experience only, please, in accordance with the forum rules.
Now I have never made the trip to Tropic Isle, so I cannot address the complaints.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt's post was edited, and three responses to his post were removed.
First hand experience only, please, folks.
If any of you guys who responded want to re-phrase and reply again with your experiences, that'd be dandy.
I didn't want to edit and put words in your mouths.

Wow, I just read through this post and I'm suprised that most of the posts are negative. I definately have mixed experiences at tropic isle, but the good ones make up for the fact that there are bad ones. I have fairly bad experiences when there are busy nights often (for instance, one time I waited 45 minutes just to get a false perc bagged). I haven't had a problem with the ladies who work there, they seem to be fairly friendly, although much of the time they don't talk much, that doesn't imply rudeness. I even get a little smile some of the time. I don't know the names of any of the employees really (do they have nametags?) but I got help from either the manager or the assistant manager (think it was the a**. manager) choosing my first coral (I decided on xenia) and he spent about 15 minutes or so going over care, feeding, advice, etc. That was a really good experience. Much of the time, the prices ARE overpriced, but so are most lfs' I have personally been to. I have only had to return one fish dead (a false perc who had some fin rot), and although I got some crap for it (I didn't remember I was supposed to bring a clean sample of water from my tank, stupid me, but also the fact that he said "none of these fish have fin rot, it must be your fault"), the salesperson finally let me get my fish in return, and the fish has been doing great since (this was a few months ago). I have personally never bought dry goods there, as often petco and petsmart sell the same or similar things cheaper, but I normally see very healthy fish there. One suggestion is I wish they would post prices and incoming stock online, otherwise I have to travel 30-40 minutes to check to see if there's anything I want (and that involves getting either a ride from my dad or his gf).

Last edited:
Wow, can you say reform?

I go in tonight, much more staff, different *nice* lady at the counter.
They have these nanos set up that are pretty cool. Everything besides the prices seem better (almost great :) )
If only they got rid of that darn aiptasia :(

Back