Trying new acro flatworm treatment...

>Then I suppose DMSO would be worth a try, but I seem to recall that's a pretty toxic solvent. <

Actually DMSO is not too bad. I believe that it is sometimes used to administer drugs through the skin! So....if it does dissolve in DMSO, don't spill the stuff on your skin!!

DMSO is used in cell culture to help cells survive cryopreservation. It also in some cases promotes growth and protein production in certain mammalian cells in bioreactors, FWIW.

yES

I have plenty of flatworms...I can catch a few with my turkey baster if you want some to try your killing agent. LEt me know.

Aquaman_68 said:
Anyone have a coral with Acro FW on it that want to try these fluke tabs?

If your going to the meeting or you know someone who is close by to you that is I will bring a few tabs for you to try on them. Sorry bout your dilemma too!!! Sucks real bad & I feel for you!!!

Praziquantel is 2-(cyclohexylcarbonyl)-1,2,3,6,7,11b-hexahydro-4H-pyrazino[2,1-a]isoquinoline-4-one. It is a white to nearly white crystalline powder of bitter taste, melting at 136-140?C with decomposition. It is stable under normal conditions and it is practically insoluble in water, sparingly soluble in ethanol and soluble in organic solvents like chloroform and dimethylsulfoxide.

An interesting tidbit I read.

3 medicines & there ingredients. All are for flukes elimination

Aquatronics- Paragon- Dimethyl (2,2,2-triloro-1-Hydroxyethyl) Phosphonate, Nitrofurazone, NaCl,Isoniazid,Neomycin,and Kanamycin Sulfate

Aqaurium Products- Fluke tabs- 500mg tablet contains( methyl-5-benzoyl-benzimidazole-2-carbamate) and [dimethyl 92,2,2-trichloo-1hydroxyethyl) phosphate]

Aquarium Products- Clout- 4-[p-9dimethyamino)-)o-phenylbenzylidene]-2,5-cyclohexadien-1-xylidene dimethylammonium chloride: dimethyl (2,2,2-trichloro-1-hydroxy-ethyl) phosphonate;1,2-dimethyl-5-nitroimidazole and inert ingredients as non toxic binders

So there it is: I know that pretty much these 3 different will probably waste the worms ......But will the corals be able to tolerate it? Only testing will show the verdict. There may be some corals that can tolerate it but I'm sure some won't. Any takers?????

Well, I didn't get a chance to try out the meds, as I haven't found any in my system in 3 weeks!! Here is what I have done:

It has been 3 weeks since I was informed corals I picked up from someone had flatworms. That night I threw away over a third of my SPS frags / colonies. I cleaned every one off that night with a large syringe blasting water at each of them out of my system. Two days later I found 2 small frags with a couple of adults, and threw those 2 out.

Every morning (when my frag tank light is on) I check every frag for full polyp extension / unhealthy look to them. The first thing a coral does with a flatworm on it is retract its polyps. Every night I check each of my frags with a magnifying glass looking for eggs / any adults I might see. I also blast the frags outside my frag tank with the syringe into a white bowl to see if any adults come off. In the three weeks since I removed the last two frags I found any of them on I have not seen any eggs nor flatworms.

My display has a bipartus leopard wrasse, an ornate leopard wrasse, a candy (twinspot) hogfish, and a pair of mandarins. I never found a single flatworm or eggs in my display.

After finding them in my frag tank over 3 weeks ago, I added a six-line wrasse to my frag tank.

At this point I firmly believe that the flatworms are out of my system. My research suggests that they can only live a few days without a source of food (sps corals!). With none of my corals being infected, I do not know where they would be able to survive in my system for 3 weeks. However, I have not heard any definitive evidence of how long their life cycle is.

Darren, have you had any progress tracking their life-cycle?

Reef55 said:
Darren, have you had any progress tracking their life-cycle?

I'm running out of flatworms!! :D I'll start a new thread asking for infected frags.

I've been finding that 5 days is about all they've got without acro flesh. I isolate them in a 2 1/2 gal tank with a small frag, watch until the frag is completely skeletal, then count the days until I don't see anymore worms. I'm seeing them die sooner than 5 but I'm saying 5 to be on the safe side.
BUT, this is in a bare bottom tank with heater and small powerhead only. In an established reef there could be areas that are encrusted from sps that have been moved or from broken tips falling into cracks and holes that the worms could live on for what could be a considerable amount of time depending on the tank.
I also have added green digitata to the tank after the acro has been completely eaten. They died. They never touched the digi. I only did this one time so this is by no means proof that they will leave montipora alone.

No not yet Denis, I've already fraged my tank to pieces and can't keep the FWs fed well enough. I started a new thread about that.

Back