Tunze Care Magnet Long review

RiverRat

Non-member
I got my hands on a Tunze Care Magnet Long and I wanted to pass on a quick review.

My new tank is made of Starphire glass on three sides (a low iron glass), so it scratches easier than "regular" glass.
The algae was growing thicker and thicker on the glass and I was terrified of cleaning it with my trusty mag-float.....for fear a piece of sand would get caught and wreak havoc.

Enter the Tunze Care Magnet Long...........
The only places of contact to the inside of the glass is the two plastic blades on each end of the magnet, eliminating my fears of dragging sand across the sides of the tank.
A nice thing about the minimized points of contact is the force of the magnet is completely placed at the site of the plastic blades, so it cleans quite efficiently.
Included in the box are two halves of the magnetic cleaner (inside and outside), two long plastic blades, two short plastic blades, and a metal razor blade attachment. You can have whatever blade combo you desire.....I like the way it is out of the box.....one end with the short blade, the other end with the long blade. It should be noted that while the long plastic blade covers more area, the shorter blade applies more pressure for the harder to clean algae.

I was able to completely clean my glass without a single scratch. I even went straight into the substrate without carrying a single piece of sand under the plastic blade..........so that line of tough algae next to the sand is no longer a problem. I didn't even have to use the included metal razor attachment yet (for the really tough to clean algae).

There is a negative I would like to point out.
The magnet does not float, which makes turning corners difficult. It takes some practice to get it right (I can do it now without dropping the magnet), but it can be a pain until you get that technique down (especially if you have to reach into the tank to retrieve the magnet...defeating the purpose of this type of glass cleaner).

All in all...a great product.

I have read some really helpful reviews on here for all types of products and figured this information may be helpful to someone.

100_7165_zps3ac9m6wg.jpg

I got the Strong version back in November and have been very happy with it. My finding is very similar to yours. Did you use the metal scraper? Mine comes with it but I just use the plastic scraper for the film algae.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2436838
A very good product. When a product like this comes along, I like to give the good feedback to the manufacturer and hope that the ones responsible for the design and the whole team get the praise they deserve.

Bought the nano version because my glass is 9mm. Worked like crap, went back to the Aqueon magnet scraper from Petco.

I have a standard 180 which is 1/2 glass. The standard ends at 1/2 so I'd likely go for the next size

My glass is 1/2 inch and I have the long version. It worked great.....but maybe you can get even more out of the strong version.

River, you don't find it weak at all? That's what I worry about especially since you said the inside doesn't float. I'd rather the long as it is cheaper and the replacement blades are likely the same.

Back