turbo calcium and alk

kskvarci

Non-member
I seem to have issues keeping my calcium in check using kalk alone. All of my top off is kalk saturated, but I am still having to dose turbo calcium about once a week to keep my calcium around 420. Alk hovers around 3.4. If I use more kalk, or bionic my alk gets too high.

I've read its not advisable to use turbo calcium on a continual basis. What other options do I have?

I dont even have much in the tank. I do have a good deal of coraline however.

Why is it not okay to use turbo calcium on a continual basis?? Ultimately, you are trying to keep calcium levels up and your coral usage is higher than what you are dosing. Maybe your kalwasser mix needs to be more potent in your make up water. I use the cheap Randy recipe of dowflake calcium and A&H baking soda to keep everything up in addition to the limewater.

I used a lot of SeaChem's powdered Reef Calcium.
Couple of teaspoons dissolved in RO water did the trick for me. Cheaper than the liquids.
Check out Randy Holmes-Farley's article in Advanced Aquarist on using Dow Flake (ice melt stuff) as a calcium chloride supplement.

If you use the bionic that doesn?t mean that you have to use both components. You can use only the one (or more of one) when it gets out of balance. Also you may have a low magnesium problem. Do you do frequent water changes?

denvig said:
If you use the bionic that doesn?t mean that you have to use both components. You can use only the one (or more of one) when it gets out of balance. Also you may have a low magnesium problem. Do you do frequent water changes?

I have a 65 with a total of about 75-80 gallons including fuge and sump. I do about a 15 gallon change every week with IO. That drops my calcium as well.
What I read, was that continual use of calcium chloride will cause a buildup of chlorine ions. Maybe this is a non issue given the amount of water changes I do and the volume of my tank.

making my kalk mix more potent isnt an option as my PH and alk will move too high. I should check my Magnesium levels.

You could always make the kalk mix stronger and add vinegar to lower the ph/alk if you desire. I would agree to check you magnesium.

Back