Underwater World in Taunton

Carcharodon

Pure Dangerous
I found this store to be mediocre at best in terms of quality and selection, overpriced and terrible in terms of at least two specimens kept in borderline cruel conditions and the staff's response.

Cutting to the chase - they're keeping a largish bumble bee grouper in an open top 'pond' style glass tank of about 100 gallons. The label indicates the fish grows to 6 feet and can be kept in anything over a 210. personal opinion removed.

They also have a Grey 'Smouthhound' (I think they meant smoothhound) in their frag tank. For those that don't know, Smooth hounds are near free swimming and require a lot of space. Since one of the employees happened to be wandering aimlessly in the general vicinity, I asked him how big it gets. "Three feet" he said. personal remarks/attacks removedI told him that according to fish base and my own experience , Mustelus californicus gets at least four feet long. Peronal commentary removed.

I guess if you're just picking a few things up this place would be okay, personal opinions removed have so-so selection with a lot of algae on their displays.
Won't be going back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited them yesterday and two other times in the last month or so. I have to say they have gone down on my list of stores to visit. They have these small cubes with assorted things like snails, crabs, shrimp, fish, etc... Most of these little cubes have dead or reminiscence of dead things in them. Lots of the flaps from dead snails and such.. Lots of their fish look sick or very stressed. I use to enjoy going there and I even bought my clowns from them. I have left there empty handed due to the poor quality. I hope they step it up soon.

First of I would like to say that we take the up must pride in the care for all our fish.

As for the smooth hound that is 13 inches, it is in a 3’ x 3’ tank and the total water system of that system is over 300 Gallons. As for your question when you asked how big it gets the answer was 3 feet. Personal conversation removed.
As far as the bumblebee grouper that is 15 inches, he is in a 350-gallon tank. We got hem as a trade-in from a customer that got it somewhere else and brought it to use when it was about 6”. He has been it the store for two years and is very healthy. As for the sign, that was there for when he was 6” and we clearly state in the sign that he can get up to six feet. I will change that sign.

I invite you to come back in and I will be more that happy to speak to you.

Post removed, there is no personal opinion/conversations allowed in this forum. Please keep it to first hand experience only and on topic. Do not offer advice or your personal stance on a store employees.

I have to agree. Me and my wife took a ride to check it out a couple weeks or so back and I was not impressed. The tanks weren't the cleanest, prices are high but I suppose that should be expected at a mall and even though we were in there for around 15 minutes we were not asked once if we needed assistance. Personal opinion removed. My first time in to the store was 5 or 6 years ago and in the condition it was in at that time, I would definitely do business there. With all this said, they did have a decent selection of corals.

Personal opinion removed.
Alex

Friendly reminder:
Personal opinion, advice or judgements outside of your actual experience are not allowed. Please take a look at the rules at the top of every page in the vendors experience forum and follow the link to the VE forum long version of the rules.

Just in case scrolling it too hard here is a link www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?19839

MOD's Cleanup isle 4

Last edited:
Many comments have been removed from this thread. If you cannot follow the guidelines for posting in the VE forum please refrain from posting. This forum is for feedback for first hand experience only, if you would to continue any conversation with the store you are referencing please keep that conversation to pm and not the open fourms. This is ot the forum to vent your personal beliefs, feelings or offer suggestions.

Thank you!

I was there today and actually frequent the place often, I saw a great selection of ORA SPS and some maricultured sps mini colonies for less then $40. In great shape and with great color. They actually had red planets and ORA Hawkins echinata frags for $20 on up, depending on the size. Doesnt seem expensive to me since most places sell those for $69.99. To say that the tank that grouper is in is 100 gallons shows me maybe you do not know as much as you think you do. The tank the shark was in does have frags and corals in it, but I wouldn't say its a frag tank. It was a 3 foot by 3 foot cube and the shark is maybe a foot long. I wouldnt call it a permanent housing situation but they do have the means to place it in a larger system if it got bigger. Anyway, my friend who was with me purchased a Tyree Mummy eye frag with 4 eyes on it for 35 bucks. If your looking for pieces of aquacultured sps and or lps that you won't find elsewhere Greg has them and he has them at very reasonable prices. He has ordered anything I have ever asked for that he didnt stock, including my 300 gallon marineland, which he sold to me at a little over cost. They order pretty much anything for you that you need and charge internet prices for them or even less sometimes. This is the best lfs I have been to in the area. They also had reptiles, freshwater fish, and a huge supply of dry goods. He even keeps vortechs, and AI Sol Blue LED fixtures in stock at the same price you find them online. Too bad you had a bad experience but it certainly isn't the norm with this place.

Last edited:
Again first hand experiences only here please, discusiion is not allowed.

MikeG
BRS Mod

We go to this store quite often as it is a much easier ride from the cape than the Boston are stores. I have found the store to be very clean, well stocked, and the staff very helpful and knowledgable. Also their prices can't be beat. I bought my light fixture, clownfish, several peices of coral, live rock, and a Spectrapure 4 stage 75gpd RO/DI with built in dual TDS meter for an Unbelivable price.

Discussion, opinion, and reference to another store(s) removed

Great prices, stock, and staff we love this store.

All purchased from Underwater World in the past month and a half. Pink Birdsnest $35ish, Trumpets $35ish, two clowns $36. All healthy and getting bigger

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318949461.542079.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318949461.542079.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 798
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318949482.597840.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318949482.597840.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 820
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318949498.711594.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318949498.711594.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 812
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318949532.030868.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318949532.030868.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 832
I have not visited the site for a few months nor have I been to Underewaterworld in four months.
Befroe that I was a frequent customer for a number of years. I can only give you my opinion from my experiences and they all were good. I can support what the other supporters of Greg and his store have said because I have the similar opinion and experiences.

Discussion and opinion removed.

I have supported Greg and the boys at this shop for many years and they have been more than helpful any time i ever needed anything. The prices are beyond resonable(especially being in a mall)...

Discussion, opinion, and reference to other store(s) removed

More posts have been edited. PLEASE READ THE VENDOR EXPERIENCES RULES.

Discussion, anything other than direct personal experience, and references to other stores are NOT ALLOWED in VE threads.

John K BRS moderator

Can't say enough good things about Greg and the staff at Underwater World. Very helpful and informative. Like Nick said, Greg will order mostly anything you need, if he doesn't carry it.

DISCUSSION AND REFERENCE TO OTHER STORE(S) REMOVED.

People, don't post in this forum if you don't understand the rules. Discussion, and refering to "other stores" is not allowed.

Everyone hates the forced reads, don't make us do another forced read....

John K BRS moderator

I went there last week and frequent the store often. Greg has helped me out many times and is a great resource. Whenever I have bought anything I always felt the price was better than fair. The staff has always treated me well, the livestock is healthy and I'm a happy customer.

I have stopped in there twice. Bought a frag the first time. The store was ok but nothing to rave about to want me to go back.

I have been to most of the stores within an hour of my home and the staff at underwater world are a great group. No other lfs I have been to or talked to stocked high end led. These guys have for setup and have them in stock too.

The prices are similar to online with the added benefit of seeing it in person.

The livestock turns over quickly. In my 3 trips there in 2 weeks there was always new fish.

Back