Upgrading need some advise please

niftyjosh

Non-member
Going from a 50 breeder with about 20 gallons worth of sump so 70 total to a 90 with about 20 gal of total sump so 110 total. Should I treat this move as a big water change or should I cycle this new tank?

Thanks
Josh

I would treat it as a large water change... I would just make sure that the ph, temp and salinity are exact...

I upgraded from a BioCube 29 to a 65gal. What did was I used Marco rock and added my LR from BC29. I also used some of the water from the BC when I changed everything over. I never had a cycle. Maybe I got lucky, I don't know. I am sure there are people with more experience that will chime in.

I went from a 50 breeder to a 90 back in Aug and treated it as a big water change and it worked out fine. Like Dave said make sure all the perimeters in the new water match the old water as best as possible.

If you treat it as a big water change, make sure any new rock is completely cycled. Dry rock can go either way and not need to cycle or have a ton of organics and take a long time to cycle. What is your plan for sand?

Thanks all. It sucks though because I just bought a new light for the 50 gal and I don't think it's going to work out very well. It's a single 250w MH with 4 39w T5HO.

Well it just so happens I ordered another 40 lbs of rock and sand from Marco to add to both my tanks but I just may add it all to the new tank as I transfer the old over.

Well it just so happens I ordered another 40 lbs of rock and sand from Marco to add to both my tanks but I just may add it all to the new tank as I transfer the old over.

If you have livestock you are transferring, I would strongly advise against putting the marco rock directly in. You may get lucky and have no organics on the rock or it may be loaded and cause a huge cycle. I have had both happen with marco rock.

Well I figure I can keep my minimal amount of sps centered and locate my lps and softies accordingly

as long as you don't change the livestock, it should be just like your last setup with more water volume, just don't think you can drop a lot of new livestock in right away. also your going to have to play with your flow which will be different

Ok right along the lines of what I was thinking. That's for the help. Going to have to stick with the single halide for now seeing as a new fixture isnt in the budget.

Back