Upgrading to a 210! Need Your Opinions on Equipment

addictedreefer

Non-member
I just bought a 210 gal rr tank which should be delivered sometime next week. I will probably be setting the tank up with a 40-50 gal sump. I have done some research on equipment but I really want to know what you guys think about my choices. Tank is 72x24x29, and will be SPS dominant, however I want powerful enough filtration so that I could also have a decent bio load without harming the corals. Listed below are several options for various types of equipment which I am considering. Tell me which you think is best, or feel free to suggest something different.

Lighting:
1.) 3 400 watt 14k Ice Cap fixtures and ballasts
2.) 3 400 watt 10k PFO fixtures with 2x75w VHO actinics on each fixture
Skimmer (will be in sump inside stand which measures 28 inches high):
1.) Aqua C EV-240
2.) Euroreef CS8-3+
3.) Precision Marine Bullet 2
4.) ASM G-4
5.) ATI Bubble Master
6.) Bubble KIng
7.) Bermuda Aquatics BPS-5C
CA Reactor (will need to deal with some serious SPS stocking):
1.) Deltec PF501 Fluidized Reactor
2.) Precision Marine CR422 or CR622
3.) Aqua C RX 1
4.) Korallin C1502 or C3002
Controller:
Digital Aquatics

Please let me know what would you think would be best.
Thanks for Your Help!
-Vic

I have run MH only for 3 years but If I had the option I would go 10k + VHO. You have more viewing options and faster growth. However, you also have higher operating cost.

I just bought a 210 gal rr tank which should be delivered sometime next week. I will probably be setting the tank up with a 40-50 gal sump. I have done some research on equipment but I really want to know what you guys think about my choices. Tank is 72x24x29, and will be SPS dominant, however I want powerful enough filtration so that I could also have a decent bio load without harming the corals. Listed below are several options for various types of equipment which I am considering. Tell me which you think is best, or feel free to suggest something different.

Skimmer (will be in sump inside stand which measures 28 inches high):

5.) ATI Bubble Master
6.) Bubble KIng

Controller:
Digital Aquatics

Please let me know what would you think would be best.
Thanks for Your Help!
-Vic

i would spend the $$$ on a skimmer, I use a ReefKeeper 2 and love it, easy to use.

I would run 3 full-size LumenArcs. 250W at 10k or 400W at 12-20k. With the 250W you'll probably want actinic supplementation.

No opinion on skimmers.. Calcium reactors, in my opinion, are all pretty similar - get one that is rated for 2x or better the volume that you have and you should be okay.

I assume you're looking at the Reef Keeper Elite from DA - you might also consider the ACIII from Neptune.

ok, you have a huge difference between skimmers. if you can swing the price, go with a bubble king or a bubblemaster, hands down. they are quite pricey though. as for a controller, i would suggest a neptune aquacontroller.

There are so many different ways you can go with your equipment selection. It depends on a few different variables. First and foremost is your budget, this will include or exclude certain equipment right off the bat.
If you are doing SPS dominant, then doing everything in overkill would be your best bet.
You need to help us fine tune your selection a bit.
give us a budget, fish stocking level. Color you like the tank to appear to the eye. Amount of maint. you are willing to do. oh, and did I say budget...lol

Kind of hard to just through out suggestions blindly.

If it where my 210, I would go with the following;

3 x 400 Lumnarc reflector (14K bulbs)
4 x 39 watt T5 Actinics retro fit
I would make my own light canopy

As for Skimmer, I would go with the Sequence ORCA (one amazing skimmer!)

As for reactor, for me it is always and only a Schuran. I absolutely love the quality and design of there CA reactors (not to mention the media they use)

I would also definitely have a Kalk reactor and a fluidized bed reactor for carbon and Phosphate removal media.

Oh and don't forget the Chiller at least a 1/3-1/2 HP ( I personally like Tradewinds)

As for Controller...I don't use them. Never had the extra money to waste on them, and never found a reason to have to have one. (but that is just me. I also do this for a living, not a hobby) So I testing regularly anyway. On a side note I do run a PH controller on my CA reactors. And temp thermometers, and timers for my lights....maybe I should look into those fancy controller thing-a-ma-bobs...lol

-B-

Thanks for the responses thus far guys. My budget is medium to high. I aim for fish stocking to be slightly above average so I am willing to spend alot on the skimmer...any preferances? (so far the bubble master and bubble king seem to be favorites).
As for lighting, I am looking for good SPS growth rates at nearly all levels of the tank, however I don't want the light to be too yellow-white. Personally, I like the PFO option using a 400w 10k mh with 76 watt vho actinics on each of 3 fixtures... any opinions on this?
With regards to the calc reactor, it seems that the consensus is to focus more on overkill capacity over particular brands. Is it neccessary to also run a kalk reactor to maintain alk, or does the calc reactor take care of both ca and alk?
Some of you have mentioned chillers. However, these are quite pricey. I will be using a canopy that only covers the front and sides (topless), with additional openings in the rear for 3 high powered fans. Room temp usually stays quite stable at 70 degrees (tank is in basement with central air/heat). Is this enough? or is a chiller absolutely neccessary?
Thanks for all your help!...Keep the ideas flowing!!
-Vic

I just set up a 180 so here is my input....

Go with Luminarcs for sure!

Be VERY careful with the skimmer! I have the standard AGA stand (28 inches) and my prior tank had a little taller of a stand so I didnt even think about this before the swap, I have a ASM G-4X skimmer and it is very hard to get the lid off and you need to take the lid off to be able to remove the cup. It would probably not be as hard if I had the sump in a little better of a spot under the stand (it is near a brace) If I was to do it again I would knock out that false bottom and put a new one on the floor to give a few extra inches and make the skimmer better to get at.

For a reactor all I can say is dont get a deltec unless it comes with something other then those stupid aquabee pumps that are always failing!
I just have an octopus skimmer (I think that is it) and it has done a great job and not much money compaired to some of the others.

I have an Aquatronica controller since just about when they came out and it is the best controller on the market IMO. It has way more possibilities and is always getting updates and features added as well as new items, probes and such, it can control multiple tanks if you want, it will page, text and email you if you want. You can control your tank from over the internet, shut things on and off.

As for a chiller, I have never run one on any of my tank and got by with fans and the room my tank is has a good AC
Right now I am running 1 400 watt and 2 175 watt bulbs, I broke one of my 400s setting the tank up a few days ago and after running those 3 lights for 12 hours with just the window open the tank only goes up 1/2 degree, the 120 would go up 1.5-2 and the fan in the canopy and on the sump always kept it under 82 degrees, I think I will have even less of a swing with this tank.

You are welcome to come by and check mine out to get some ideas

>I like the PFO option using a 400w 10k mh with 76 watt vho actinics on each of 3 fixtures... <

I think VHO are kind of a thing of the past. I'd go with T-5 if possible. The more actinics you can add the happier you will be with the look of the tank.

I think VHO are kind of a thing of the past. I'd go with T-5 if possible. The more actinics you can add the happier you will be with the look of the tank.[/QUOTE]
The PFO fixtures have the flourescent sockets built in and apparently only allow for 2x75w vho or 2x55w pc. I am going with 100% actinic on the vhos to balance out the white 10k mh.

As for the skimmer, I am leaning towards the Bubble Master 250 (rated up to 500g). Does anyone have any opinions on/experience with this skimmer?

Also, I will be needing a truckload of LR for the tank (probably in the neighborhood of 250-300lbs). Anyone know of a good online vendor of fully cured LR(I know...I'm too lazy to bother with curing it)? So far I have checked out coralreeffarm.com.... any thoughts?

>I like the PFO option using a 400w 10k mh with 76 watt vho actinics on each of 3 fixtures... <

I think VHO are kind of a thing of the past. I'd go with T-5 if possible. The more actinics you can add the happier you will be with the look of the tank.

I think VHO actinics look better then T-5 actinics......just my opinion

as for LR keep looking on here..members are always breaking down or changing tanks I must have bought at least 800lbs in the last year here and at the price u get it here, it is worth going through the trouble of killing off a few aptaisia.

Any rock that you buy as cured, then gets shipped, will mosty likely have to "re-cure" as during shipping there is substantial die off. Now this will deffinitely vary from vendor to vendor. But I always get a kick out of reading sites that say "fully cured liverock" yeah right, sure it is, until they stick it in a box and ship it. And I have even seen vendors and wholesalers that list the rock to be fully cured, when in reality it is sitting in a warehouse in a box waiting to be ordered. Good luck with that, be careful, ...your results may vary.
As said above, I would check here for live rock, just be careful that it is pest free.
Or better yet, order some rock from Marco, and just add a little live rock to seed it. Now if you are in a rush this will not work for you. But to be 100% honest, if you are in a rush this hobby will probably not work for you. Nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

Best of luck,

-B-

Thanks for all the input so far. Here's an update on my progress.
For lighting, I went with the 3 PFO 400w 10ks supplemented with vho actinics.
For the skimmer, I went with a Bermuda 8c.
As for the calc reactor, I am holding off for a while as it will be some time before I will be adding corals (until then I will supplement with B-Ionic)
With regards to the live rock, buying from a club member is not possible, as I am home in New York for the summer. In reference to why I want fully cured rock, it sounds like impatience because it is. I am very patient in almost all aspects of reef keeping (fish stocking, research, maintenance), 2 beautiful nano sps tanks attest to this. However, I am not very patient when it comes to peering into a murky tank of live rock (or an empty display while the rock is in a rubbermaid) for over 2 months while it cures (not to mention the frequent water changes, etc., when I can spend an extra buck or two per pound and cut this time drastically so I can focus on more important and less tedious things. With regards to the assertion that fully cured LR will need to be recured upon arrival, I believe this all depends on the company, which is why I asked if anyone knew of a good vendor. A good vendor will package the rock well to minimize die off. Additionally, I will upgrade to overnight shipping to further reduce any die off.
Anyone know of a good vendor? Has anyone ordered rock from coralreffarm.com?
Thanks,
Vic

Is this the skimmer your looking at?
http://www.fragfarmer.com/BPS-8C-Bermuda-Aquatics-Protein-Skimmer-p-511.html

Have you seen good reviews on it? Not saying it's bad, but looking at the pic and the description I was feeling a little skeptical, then I saw the price and was left kind of puzzled? For that kind of $$$ I'd be looking at an orca, or bubblemaster???

On the LR, I totally get what your saying, but I would still really consider what B (saltwaterB) said. The one time I ordered "cured LR" I was left wondering why it smelled like I had a dead body in the tank after 2 days :(

BTW, congrats on the upgrade. I wish I could go for a 180 now :(

Back