Ushio MH bulbs

ceige

always wet hands.....
Is a 10,000K ? Ushio a recommended MH bulb? I never had MH before and I am ordering one tomorrow and not sure what the differences are between the manufactures. I will have 150 watts of VHO S Actinic with this new 175 watt MH 10K. I have seen the web sites with pics of the light but you can?t take that too much at heart.

Just curious what you all have to say.

Ushio 10K 175W is a nice bright white color in my experience. Not at all yellow or blue. Right in the middle. Should be good with VHO supplementation, although I don't know whether it'll be a little too blue with that much actinic and only one 10K MH.

I was thinking maybe one 50/50 on the vho's as well...........either way I have the 50/50 on it now and I can play with the blue aspect a bit the VHO's are 75 watt each (this is on my 29) not much room for two MH.

Yeah, messing with the VHO color will allow you to play around until you're happy.

I had a coralvue 10K MH bulb over my 30g with 190 watts of VHO , and I found one 10K bulb and 1 actinic gave me the color I was looking for.

Nate

I really like this bulb. It is a very crisp white, I usually don't even run actinics...

I've used the USHIO before, but found the color a bit harsh. I've been using the 10K XM's for a while now and really like the results. The 10K XM's did extremely well in Sanjay's testing on actual photosynthetically active radiation measurements.

I will have 150 watts of VHO S Actinic with this new 175 watt MH 10K

I think you'll be happy with this lighting combination. In the past, I've used the 175 watt 10k bulbs from Hamilton (which are the same a Ushio). Used in combination with the VHO 03 bulbs, you'll get a nice effect.

What size aquarium (depth) are you going to use these bulbs over ?

Greg, after reading the results of Sanjays testing, I've picked up a pair of 10k XM bulbs and plan to swap over in the never-ending pursuit of the perfect reef lighting. I'm using 400 watt now.

Back