ventilation / dehumidifier systems?

arch85

Non-member
Hey guys,

I know I saw a system quite a while back that someone installed on their window, that kept the heat in and pushed the humidity out -- I've been searching for it for the last hour on the net and can't seem to find it; can someone point me in the right direction?

Also any ideas and/or suggestions on dehumidifier? I'm anticipating about 20-30 gallons (if not more) of water evaporating per day, and this is in our basement. We do have basement windows that I was planning on putting either window fans in, or the above mentioned ventilation system that pushes the humidity out and keeps the heat in. We also have a decent size dehumidifier down there, but I was skeptical of having that run because it would just add to the evaporation I believe.

Any thoughts and ideas?

Thanks!

that is a lot of water lost per day, my 450 gallon system looses about 3 gallon per day with two dehumidifiers running all the time to keep the basement dry. How is you system looks? A lot of open surface?

yeah, we have 4 50 gallon rubbermaid bins, 3 150 gallon rubbermaid bins, 1 125 and 1 custom 170 gal tank ... so def. a lot of open surface. For the last 2 days we've been losing about 2 gallons on our 92 corner -- so I figured with so much larger surface area, we'll probably be losing around 20-30 gal/day ..

That is a lot of open surface. If your 92 corner loose 2 gallon which has smaller open surface, you may loost much more than 30+ gallon per day.

Haha well it is cooler in the basement than it is in the living room so I am hoping that will help a little with the evaporation.

But yeah, if anyone can point me in the right direction for that ventilator, extra brownie points for you ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

holy crap.

open all your windows at night and your basement door, then close all windows and basement door in the early AM. The basement should stay alot colder than your house. Unless you live on a hill and half your basement is above ground?

The basement is above ground on 3 sides -- it's still very comfortable in there. I wanted to setup the ventilation systems now instead of being sorry later. (would be much harder to maneuver around the grow out tanks later).

so you also have 1000 gallon of water in the basement?

currently i have, a 90g, a 40g, a 20g a 14g, a 50g rubbermaid, and 2 55g mixing bins. about 380 ish but a lot of surface area
I am currently trying to pickup a 8ft-10ft 400-500g tank and 100g sump and 250g mix bin and go bigger, so yes i will be near 1000g after all the tanks add up lol.

The only thing preventing the upgrade so far is: building the wall for the tanks to be sealed behind (cool/heat/dehumidify 1 room instead of whole basement), and finding a humidity solution for said room.
Somedays when its humid( like the last week) it almost rains in my basement. Probably a huge mold risk...... my small dehumidifier cant keep up, so i have to put fans in the doorway, and hope for the best, but when its really humid out, it is a concern.

so far im my searching i have found the big solution for most people is : in wall fans like you see on greenhouses, and humidistats. Im hoping there is a better solution/multiple path approach.

Hey guys,

I know I saw a system quite a while back that someone installed on their window, that kept the heat in and pushed the humidity out -- I've been searching for it for the last hour on the net and can't seem to find it; can someone point me in the right direction?

Also any ideas and/or suggestions on dehumidifier? I'm anticipating about 20-30 gallons (if not more) of water evaporating per day, and this is in our basement. We do have basement windows that I was planning on putting either window fans in, or the above mentioned ventilation system that pushes the humidity out and keeps the heat in. We also have a decent size dehumidifier down there, but I was skeptical of having that run because it would just add to the evaporation I believe.

Any thoughts and ideas?

Thanks!

An AC unit set to Dry rather than Cold will remove the water and leave the heat in.

Back