water change husbandry & supplemental study

SharkLover

T5 LPS
Please reply to this post if possible in the following format, i want to study husbandry. I understand there are multiple thread about this. I have made the title easily to search and hope these organized thoughts help really put some good information into this thread instead of paragraphs of comments and recommendations.

1. how many times a month do you perform a water change?
2. how long does your salt mix before water changing? (ex. 24 hours)
3. do you supplement mg/calc/alk?
3a. If yes to above, when do you supplement? (example, After the 24 hour salt mix)
3b. How do you separate your supplement times? (example, I supplement mg after mixing salt for 24 hours then supplement calc 2 hours later and Alk 12 hours later).
4. Lastly (Comment part), if you separate your supplemental times because of due "Cause and effect" please feel free to explain the chemistry behind it. It will greatly increase the quality of this thread.

Again, this thread is to study husbandry in terms of supplemental dosing and how we complete the task.

Thanks to everyone who participates and have a happy holiday season!

-Anthony

i change water once a month. cal alk i dose 1 hour after the other. my salt mix is in a 35 gallon drum i add my salt and mag a power head stirs it up. i do my water changes with that i allways have salt water on hand

"1. how many times a month do you perform a water change?"
Maybe once

"2. how long does your salt mix before water changing? (ex. 24 hours)"
Anywhere from 4-6 hours.

"3. do you supplement mg/calc/alk?"
Yes

"3a. If yes to above, when do you supplement? (example, After the 24 hour salt mix)

Every night

"3b. How do you separate your supplement times? (example, I supplement mg after mixing salt for 24 hours then supplement calc 2 hours later and Alk 12 hours later)."

I never feel any need to supplement unless I test and it's low after my water change.Then I'll dose appropriately.

"4. Lastly (Comment part), if you separate your supplemental times because of due "Cause and effect" please feel free to explain the chemistry behind it. It will greatly increase the quality of this thread."

It all goes in the sump one after the other.
Alk then calcium and bi-weekly,Mg. if that's low.

Thanks to those who have participated. Please continue to provide input into the thread. I'm especially interested in seeing how long people wait before supplementing mg to their RO/DI water change resevior. Then how long they wait to dose the next suppliment and the order in which they supplement.

Here's my husbandry

Once a week

24 hours

Yes

"3a. If yes to above, when do you supplement? (example, After the 24 hour salt mix)
Not including daily supplements.
I begin dosing MG the same day after 2-6 hours of water mixing

"3b. How do you separate your supplement times? (example, I supplement mg after mixing salt for 24 hours then supplement calc 2 hours later and Alk 12 hours later)."

Water change supplementation takes place after the intial 24 hour period that the salt has gotten a chance to mix. i begin by dosing mg. here's where i'm devided as I haven't decided on the next course of action. I choose to dose Alk because calcium will precipitate. Alk dosing occurs after 24 hours of the mg dose, and calc dosing also occurs a few hours after on the same day.

SO in a nut shell
day 1 = water mixs
day 2= mg supplement
day 3= alk & calc supplement

"4. Lastly (Comment part), if you separate your supplemental times because of due "Cause and effect" please feel free to explain the chemistry behind it. It will greatly increase the quality of this thread."

I have a problem with the length of waiting 3 days to supplement but I also have a problem with alk and calc being supplemented in the same day. This is why I have asked for input on husbandry and chemistry talks. I believe this is a better way and I just havent found it.

-Anthony

once a month at most.

5 - 10 minutes

yes

3a. If yes to above, when do you supplement? (example, After the 24 hour salt mix)
whenever i think of it, usually 1 - 2 times a week
3b. How do you separate your supplement times? (example, I supplement mg after mixing salt for 24 hours then supplement calc 2 hours later and Alk 12 hours later).
calcium, mg, and alk, all at the same time, the only time seperating them is the time to measure out the amounts
4. i know probably nobody would suggest doing it the way i do it, but if it works i figure why change it

Every Tuesday night.

48 Hours

Not in the water change, paramaters are good from the salt mix (Coralife), but I test every water change.

I have a reactor with ARM media and dolomite (for mg)

This would be 24 hours a day I guess

N/A

4. Lastly (Comment part), if you separate your supplemental times because of due "Cause and effect" please feel free to explain the chemistry behind it. It will greatly increase the quality of this thread.
N/A

Every Tuesday

24 hours

I first test the display water after a WC then supplement.

All gets dosed at the same time.

n/a

Interesting results as i was not expecting to see people dosing all at the same time. Keep it coming, thanks everyone. its great input.

1) Twice per month
2) 12-24 hours
3) Yes, mg and ca
3a) Dose both mg and ca to freshwater at the same time, then add salt after mg and ca have had a chance to dissolve (a few minutes)
4) I've found that adding ca and mg after adding salt contributes to brown deposits on the mixing vessel. These deposits are eliminated if I add ca and mg first, let dissolve, then add salt.

1. how many times a month do you perform a water change?"
every monday usually.

usually 12+hrs

not since making the change to tropic marin pro

4. NA

Once a month:(....I'm fairly lazy. The tank looks better when I change weekly, but it still does well when I forget.

24 hrs minimal, sometimes weeks depending on how lazy I am.

Yes

Not including daily supplements.
MG and CA. IO is a little low but bulk MG and CA from Bulk Reef Supply is CHEAP.

MG and CA go into the mix right after the salt has dissolved.

4) I've found that adding ca and mg after adding salt contributes to brown deposits on the mixing vessel. These deposits are eliminated if I add ca and mg first, let dissolve, then add salt.

It's funny you mention that. I Just finished cleaning the brown deposits from my mixing vessel. I was wondering what that was all about. Great comment. keep it coming everyone.

10g every Sunday and the 4th Sunday I do a 20g water change

24hrs

depends on the testing after the water change

usually the day after after I do my water change I test for everything and then I see what the water needs

I usually just need to add calc. I would wait an hour or 2 if I needed to add more stuff

n/a

I do water changes 3-4x yearly, unless I believe there is something wrong.

Approximately 24 hours.

Yes, through a CA reactor. No MG dosing.

24/7 to my display.

I don't.

No Comment

25g Every week

24-48hrs

yes

add C bal 1 day after water change and mg 2 days

No comment

Im probably doing somthing wrong because im seeing signs of a crash, cloudy water, 3 corals compleatly RTN'd and my softies are shriveled.

- weekly 5 %

- several days

-no (only via calcium reactor)

-N/A

-N/A

Back