Water Parameters for softy tank

BigCrowd42

Non-member
I have a 125G FOWLR Tank and upgraded my lights to VHO so I can start keeping Mushrooms & softies wondering what my water parameters should be
I put 4 capfuls of KENT Liquid Reactor in 2-3 times a week just for the LR but I haven't been checking alk or calc.Now I want to add softies and need to know what kind of numbers I should be trying to achieve. Any help would be great.

I`m new at this also but you should aim at :
Ca-400-450
Alk(Dkh)-4meg/l(11dkh)
Amonia-0ppm
Nitrites-0ppm
Nitrates-As close to 0ppm as possible
Phosphates-See above
Salinity-1.025

I know there`s more but i really don`t know them yet.
Hope this helps until an expert replys :)

since its softys sg 1.023 will do and will keep the fish which i think you like just as well buy your avatar happy and save a bit on salt also
cal 400 -450
alk 8-10
if you have that angel in your tank dont buy zoos untill someone gives or sells a small frag to try its most likly going to eat them and shrimps

One piece of advice...don't add any supplements until you measure and get a baseline. Then measure every day until you achieve your targets. Then you'll have to figure the appropriate dosing scheme to keep at your target levels, which involves a lot of measuring. :)

Do Ca and Alk have to be maintained in a softy tank? After all, what would use the Ca or Alk, if nothing is calcifying (except for coraline algae)?

brains if he is going to add them but i dont think he will need much it could already be sky high since he has not checked it
salifert test kits work good and there easy to read

I am planning to do just softies for now.I'm told by others that ca is not so important for the softies but i think the coraline would love it.

Yes, the coraline will need it, but my understanding is you don't need to monitor Ca and Alk if everthing in the tank is soft.

Many soft corals have calcium carbonate spicules in them, so they need calcium and alkalinity. Coralline algae also needs it if you don't want hair algae everywhere. Personally, I'd maintain both hard and soft coral tanks the same with respect to calcium and alkalinity.

Back