water problems driving me crazy?????

Man...you guys are wasting your time. Read the thread that Dennis mentioned twice.

(EDIT - didn't see Greg's post before I typed)

This is funny because this discussion seems to come up almost weekly.

Testing the pH of very pure water is meaningless. It has no ions to hold the pH stable. So depending on very minor variations RODI could read 6, or it could read 10. It really doesn't matter at all. Don't worry about the pH of your Rodi. Don't even measure it. It's meaningless.

You also seem to be concerned that your mixed saltwater is too low, but something in the low 8's is where you want it to be, so I'm not sure there's a problem.

NateHanson said:
(EDIT - didn't see Greg's post before I typed)

This is funny because this discussion seems to come up almost weekly.

Testing the pH of very pure water is meaningless. It has no ions to hold the pH stable. So depending on very minor variations RODI could read 6, or it could read 10. It really doesn't matter at all. Don't worry about the pH of your Rodi. Don't even measure it. It's meaningless.

You also seem to be concerned that your mixed saltwater is too low, but something in the low 8's is where you want it to be, so I'm not sure there's a problem.

Exactly........

ok that being the case
what can i do???

my mixed salt ph is 7.9
my tank ph was 7.7 this morning at 5am (didnt drip last night)
my ph right now is 7.98
i have a reactor now and i dont want to drip kalk any more

i would like to get it back where it was before at 8.2 stable

PRTA79 said:
i have a reactor now and i dont want to drip kalk any more

you'll find that running a reactor means you will NEED to dose kalk or run a large fuge to keep the PH up over 8.2. your reactor effluent PH is most likely 6-7.... ....

its not the reactor

i thought it was the reactor shut it off for a week no results1!!!
i have a fuge in my sump also

Last edited:
If you haven't already tried this, turn the reactor back on and drip kalk for a week or two and seee where that leads to............

Back