Water / Salt mixing ?

MeanFishBoston

Non-member
Ok , so I have my Cardiff Aquarium 24 gallons ready to go. Purchased the light today and getting ready to fill it up. Should I pre - mix or just buy the water already mixed ? Is there an advantage buying the 5 gallon already mixed salt water ? Thanks in advance, Phil

It's cheaper to add your own salt. It's even less expensive in the long run if you make your own water with an rodi unit. If you buy rodi from a store I would check the tds of it, either ask or bring a tds meeter.

I agree with the above poster. Many pet stores that sell RO/DI do not change their filters very often, and I typically find the water to be high in TDS and phosphate. Make the investment in an RO/DI unit and make your own water. This is not a cheap hobby, and everyone I know that has tried to do it cheaply has a miserable few months, and then sells all their equipment at a huge loss. That being said, you don't have to pay a fortune for everything, but some investments are worth it.

Thanks guys...I honestly knew nothing about RO-DI water......I was talking about buying the salt water already mixed at Petco I think its 5 gallons for 10 bucks.

RODI + salt mix is ideal. There are some sites out there that explain RODI systems pretty well, plus i'm sure a bunch of us can chime in with tips if you need help starting up with a system. Bulk Reef Supply has a decent video series that can give some starter info. $10 for 5 gallons is rather costly over time. RODI + salt has an up front cost, but over time it can be cheaper.

You can prob find a decent deal on a used RODI unit. But count in the cost for a new membrane (~$40) and filters+DI (~$40). A used unit may have old filters in it. Membranes generally last 3 years. Filters are typically changed yearly. DI units usually when filters are changed. The rate of usage of course can vary depending on your water quality. In my case, my water at my home is very clean. I am at 15 months on my same filter set, but I will change them out soon. Water quality can be verified with a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter. A rather low cost device. Some RODI units have them integrated.

I change about 5 gallons weekly on my 30 gallon+sump system. If I used petco water, that would be $20+ a month, or $240+ a year. At that price, one can get a quality RODI unit plus a 200 gallon box of salt-mix. You can then make RODI water for topoff to replace evaporation, and make water change water.

I typically keep 2 5 gallon buckets of water going. One bucket is pure RODI. The other is mixed salt water. The pure RODI bucket is used for topoff water. The other for weekly salt water change.

Remember... try to mix RODI and salt mix ahead of time. I try to let it mix for 24 hours at least before using it for a water change. It gives that water time to mix well, settle, and aerate. Undissolved salt mix is rather caustic/nasty, and your tank critters won't be too happy.

when i was buying RODI water from the store the TDS was 81.......

needless to say i got my own unit the next week.....

Back