Weekly challenge "NEW" (Photographing Fish)

That does work, Daire. But you want the white item in the tank under the lighting. If it is outside of the tank, you'll still get close, but not totally the same.

Haven't tried it yet but you could make a 2" piece of pvc to hang in the tank to set the white balance. Having a in-wall is tough unless you have another looooong pair of hands :)

Here's one of my favorite fish pics

Attachments

• laboutei open mouth.jpg
    laboutei open mouth.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 272
Not so much the shooting info, but I "touched up" the body of the fish with Photoshop because the sand bed had been disturbed and left specs. I also cropped it a little...before
PB110041.jpg

Actually the sand bed had just been disturbed, but I wanted to get the shot off since this guy is pretty timid, not to mention he had that fin forward, which is not always the case.

You can step back then crop put the flash spot might take a little angle to accomplish it. Off camera flash would be easier.

But in the end you have enough light to work with. So it would be better to work with what you have than to figure out how to get around the light you will be bouncing off the outside of the tank.

My .02

Last edited:
I just got a new D3000 for Christmas! Here is my first effort. The fish in hiding in there real well.

Attachments

• chromis hiding.jpg
    chromis hiding.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 155
Back