Well the calcium reactor is under way

Agreed go with the Eheim unless you like siliconing your impellar cover on
plus the Eheim are quiet and dependeble

ehiem pumps are like %1000 better, but they have metric fittings so it takes some DIY ingenuity to make them work. That said, I think it's worth it as they're top notch near silent pumps (quieter than any other pump I've used).

jk

Hey Kevin,

Nice looking 3D model. I noticed the slotted holes on the top. If your interested I have a bunch of nylon 1/4 - 20 thumb screws for some of my other DIY projects. I had to buy a lot of 100, so I'm happy to bring a few dozen to the meeting if your interested. Also - Do you still want that purple bubble tip we spoke about a long time ago?

jacqur said:
Hey Kevin,

Nice looking 3D model. I noticed the slotted holes on the top. If your interested I have a bunch of nylon 1/4 - 20 thumb screws for some of my other DIY projects. I had to buy a lot of 100, so I'm happy to bring a few dozen to the meeting if your interested. Also - Do you still want that purple bubble tip we spoke about a long time ago?

Sure that would be awesome but I'm not sure just yet if I am going to be at the meeting. I will let ya know Friday :)

he can give to me if you dont make it. then you can pick up whenever... if you want.

jimmyj7090 said:
ehiem pumps are like %1000 better, but they have metric fittings so it takes some DIY ingenuity to make them work. That said, I think it's worth it as they're top notch near silent pumps (quieter than any other pump I've used).

jk
Any suggestions on how to connect them? I am going to be hooking up a Eheim 1250 to a calcium reactor hopefully this week. I was hoping not to use any flexible tubing and all rigid PVC for a cleaner look.

ill take a picture of mine when I clean it tonight and maybe it will give you a few ideas although its not a DIY...

I used a 1250 on my reactor, it came with a couple of fittings for the inlet and the outlet. The threads on the inlet didn't match but would roughly accept 1/2" threaded pipe, so I gouped up a bunch of silicone on the threads and threaded it in as far as I could (I did this with the pump partially disassembled so I could be sure that it didn't get clogged up with silicone). For the outlet, I used one of the fittings that came with the pump which was metric male thread into the pump X metric female slip. 1/2" threaded pipe almost slid into the slip end, so I sanded one threaded end just enough to be pushed part way in, globbed it up with silicone, then pressed it together in a vise so it would be straight. Both connections sealed without problems and have been fine ever since.

Nice :) On the flame polishing comment someone on RC made... that is just taking a flame (blow torch works nicely) to from far away just barely make the cut edges melt back together to give it a shiny finish again.

Back