Went back to halides

When I came back to the hobby, I jumped in bed with the LEDs(kind of cold). I went back to MH after about 9 months I think, I love the colors you could get to display but that was about it. I do love the Reefbreeder that is what I was using. But I always and I am talking back to the 70s used MH on all my main tanks, I just like them for overall health of my systems. I use health to mean a lot of things. But never be sorry about your feelings and thoughts, they are yours. We as people want others to adopt our ways it is our nature. So what I say is just go with you like and never be sorry for it, but please always keep an open mind and try new things, you truly never know until you do.

When I came back to the hobby, I jumped in bed with the LEDs(kind of cold). I went back to MH after about 9 months I think, I love the colors you could get to display but that was about it. I do love the Reefbreeder that is what I was using. But I always and I am talking back to the 70s used MH on all my main tanks, I just like them for overall health of my systems. I use health to mean a lot of things. But never be sorry about your feelings and thoughts, they are yours. We as people want others to adopt our ways it is our nature. So what I say is just go with you like and never be sorry for it, but please always keep an open mind and try new things, you truly never know until you do.

+ 1 , have fun with the hobby try new things or stick with old ones , either way enjoy it and be proud , YOU GOT A REEF TANK !!!!!

Very well said.... I wasn't apologizing for my thoughts or opinions. More for my choice of words in response to something I thought was disrespectful. I should of responded in a Pm and not in the open forum.

again very wise words JasonandSarah, today we hide behind our screen names and are too quick to hit the send button and not think how others will take our words.

if you think MH works better and gives you better color, go for it.
in 2010, I started the hobby with T5 and everything was doing so great. The following year, I changed to LED and everything went down hill from there.
I went back to using T5 since 2012. i am very sure someday I will want to try out the LED again.

I'll let the fan boy comment go and say maybe you should look over your comments above? You have nothing against leds but you get your panties all in a bunch over suggestions? He told me he's keeping the fixture because he may try it again so I was simply stating where I thought he could of changed a few things? That makes me a fan boy? I think not!......
What's the difference if my tanks been run for 2-3 years on led and yours is 5-10 on halides? So my Sps dominant tank is just struggling to survive the insufficient torture from my leds? Lmfao!
My tanks doing great and I could really care less what he chooses to use for lighting, Or you for that matter. I know my tanks doing great.
I was only trying to help and make suggestions! Witch I thought that's what forums are for? I guess not....
Keep telling your self you have no problem with leds!;)

difference you can't even buy the same LED setups they sold 3 years ago in most cases. And halide have been around longer than I have been in the hobby over 25years. They have a proven track records and a proven standard. LED are not there yet. My problem is not with LED it is people who push them without being honest about the facts surrounding them. In the end I would always advice people to go with what they want but to make sure to be sure what they are buying covers the corals needs. Share the pros an cons but be honest in the end if more people make it clear LEDs need to come further then they will if people accept no standards that will stay. I think LED are the future of lighting on the whole not just reef tanks.

And don't worry my panties are not in a bunch as I am a guy who wears boxers. And have very thick skin and an off beat post isn't going to set me off the deep end.

As a current LED owner, I do see that my corals do not look and grow how they use to when I ran DE Phoenix MH. I would love to see that but it doesn't seem to happen. At the same time unfortunately, MH are not an option for me anymore due to electricity cost and heat coming from it. Sure it might not be as much electric but I can't afford to have a chiller running to keep the heat down.

difference you can't even buy the same LED setups they sold 3 years ago in most cases. And halide have been around longer than I have been in the hobby over 25years. They have a proven track records and a proven standard. LED are not there yet. My problem is not with LED it is people who push them without being honest about the facts surrounding them. In the end I would always advice people to go with what they want but to make sure to be sure what they are buying covers the corals needs. Share the pros an cons but be honest in the end if more people make it clear LEDs need to come further then they will if people accept no standards that will stay. I think LED are the future of lighting on the whole not just reef tanks.

And don't worry my panties are not in a bunch as I am a guy who wears boxers. And have very thick skin and an off beat post isn't going to set me off the deep end.

I totally agree that halides are awesome. I mean how can I deny that? But I don't agree Leds have a long way to go. I honestly think if people and or manufacturers would just stop worrying so much about adding "features" to Leds there'd be a lot less problems.
I think 90% of the time people fail with leds because they can't stop tinkering with the spectrum and output. When I had my cheap Chinese leds my tank looked awesome for along period of time. When I switched to Gen 3 pro's I wasn't happy with my results at first because I was trying to mess with the colors and stuff to much. Once I found a sweet spot for the corals and not just my eyes things have been great.
Everyone has a different opinion and I think that's what we should all remember. You want me to give cons on leds when I don't really have many... The only real cons I see with Leds is what I said above and what you said, there's no definite answer (standard) to what leds are best? What optics are best, if any. I think a couple company's already have it right though, minus the thunderstorms and clouds.
I think most halide company's will discontinue there bulbs just like the Phoenix bulbs very soon, There's just not as much demand for them anymore. I'm in a different area but I can't even count a handful of people in my area running anything but Leds and these are people that had halides for years, been in the hobby for years. Frag farms and retail stores.

I totally agree that halides are awesome. I mean how can I deny that? But I don't agree Leds have a long way to go. I honestly think if people and or manufacturers would just stop worrying so much about adding "features" to Leds there'd be a lot less problems.
I think 90% of the time people fail with leds because they can't stop tinkering with the spectrum and output. When I had my cheap Chinese leds my tank looked awesome for along period of time. When I switched to Gen 3 pro's I wasn't happy with my results at first because I was trying to mess with the colors and stuff to much. Once I found a sweet spot for the corals and not just my eyes things have been great.
Everyone has a different opinion and I think that's what we should all remember. You want me to give cons on leds when I don't really have many... The only real cons I see with Leds is what I said above and what you said, there's no definite answer (standard) to what leds are best? What optics are best, if any. I think a couple company's already have it right though, minus the thunderstorms and clouds.
I think most halide company's will discontinue there bulbs just like the Phoenix bulbs very soon, There's just not as much demand for them anymore. I'm in a different area but I can't even count a handful of people in my area running anything but Leds and these are people that had halides for years, been in the hobby for years. Frag farms and retail stores.

See you can remove that part in read and you post holds more weight for one reason it is solid personal experience that people can use. Someone having trouble doesn't care if 100,000 people use it if they are having trouble with it. I would rather people like metal halide and LED and not move to a Ford vs Chevy mentality. In the end it sin't a right or wrong but the more information based on real experience the better.

Don't believe me a while back people use a product that was sold as amino acids and everyone was raving about it and how much a difference it made. In the end they tested it and it was RODI. We as hobbyist need to communicate in a meaningful manner as in the end ton of people were using this product and in was 100% BS

See you can remove that part in read and you post holds more weight for one reason it is solid personal experience that people can use. Someone having trouble doesn't care if 100,000 people use it if they are having trouble with it. I would rather people like metal halide and LED and not move to a Ford vs Chevy mentality. In the end it sin't a right or wrong but the more information based on real experience the better.

Don't believe me a while back people use a product that was sold as amino acids and everyone was raving about it and how much a difference it made. In the end they tested it and it was RODI. We as hobbyist need to communicate in a meaningful manner as in the end ton of people were using this product and in was 100% BS
Your right again... I shouldn't comment on speculation. Especially on a subject I know little about.
Again though, I was only trying to offer suggestions because he said he may go back to the led in the future. I in no way said anything about switching back to halides being a bad idea. If they could come out with a power efficient MH that didn't throw off so much heat and still performed the same as halides do now..... I'd ditch my Radions quick. I'm all about results first and foremost. If my Radions weren't working they'd be gone.

+1000,000 THAT is what this site is about !!!!!!! work through the BS and find what works and in the end is cost effective this hobby is expensive enough . and we as a community are the only ones looking out for each other . Issues or no issues this is where the nuts and bolts of this club are

Nice , I am going to be switching my LPS tank lights to T5 I think , I love the shimmer from the halides but might be more economicval to run T5s over that tank , my SPS tank will remain halides . I'll keep the light in case I want to switch back

Excited my blue ridge corals polyps are out, was beginning to worry

Valentine's day massacre starting to spread

Forget what these are but they're getting huge, and deep purple w bright green mouth

This guy coloring up nicely too, wish I could get the polyp extension I see in some other tanks tho

Back