What are my options for repairing a tank?

testhead1313

Here's lookin' at you
I have a 115 Oceanic tank with a smashed bottom that I was thinking of using as a sump. What are my options as far as repairing the tank so it holds water? I know the most obvious option is get a new piece of glass cut and reseal the entire tank. I remember a while back, ScubaDave bought a tank with a crack in the bottom and he reinforced the bottom pane with plywood to support the weight of the water. Can anyone tell me their experiences and opinions? Thanks!
Chris

You could get a pane of glass cut to fit inside the bottom of the tank, and silicone it to the bottom and sides of the tank.

You could do as Nate suggested with a piece of acrylic also - which you can cut yourself pretty easily. And since you already have some support from the current bottom you wouldn't need to use anything too thick.

I had thought of those, but wasn't sure if there's enough of the original bottom left to support it. Take a look:
3ccf7d7052002fce3aaa050a1892700b-.jpg

But if you put as big a piece as you could fit in there, it would be bonded to the sides as well as the bottom, so the bottom wouldn't matter. I wouldn't use acrylic though, because it doesn't bond to silicone well, and you want a really good bond for this to work. I'd spread silicone over the entire bottom and press the new piece onto it, then run a fat bead of silicone around the 4 sides of the new piece. It'll be like a laminated glass bottom. :)

Thanks Nate, I'll start calling around for prices. What thickness do you think it'll need to be? The original piece is 1/2" thick.
Chris

I would not depend on that bottom for one ounce of support, even though you would get some if siliconed to the original, I would use 1/2 inch tempered. Better yet try to find a used tank for the sump.

Jim

I would not depend on that bottom for one ounce of support, even though you would get some if siliconed to the original, I would use 1/2 inch tempered. Better yet try to find a used tank for the sump.

Jim
I haven't gotten a chance to price this, but you might be right Jim, it may just be too cost prohibitive.

Back